County QDM regulations:

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kat in the hat, Oct 9, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Several counties in Mo. have set a regulaton prohibiting the harvest of any antlered deer that does not have at least 4 points on one side. How do you feel this will effect trophy potential? I have seen many big bodied deer with scrawney little 6 point racks, and in my opinion, those deer are prime for culling. I understand not killing a buck less than 3-1/2 years old, but I think this reg. lets too many prime culls slip through the cracks, and into the gene pool. Am I wrong? I respect MDC's regulations, and hunt in a different county than my own. Do many of you have this regulation, and what do you think of it?

2. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    They did the same thing in arkansas where I hunt,some places is 4,others are 3 on oneside.The first few years the 4,and 5 pointers we would have gotten went by and we all were pretty sore with the wildlife dept .But after about 2 years we are actually seeing more deer,and shooting more deer.And ofcourse they are bigger deer aswell.Where we hunt was 3on oneside last year,normally before the new regs we might have 1or2 deer taken on deercamp (opening)weekend out of 5-7 hunters.Last year we took 4 and the smallest was a 150lb 5point.When we checked the deer they said that this was the most deer they had ever checked in on opening weekend at the old town store.I was wrong a couple of years ago ,about those new regulations being stupid. Now that I have seen what they have done for the herd,and the quality of the deer we harvest,It was the smartest thing the wildlife department in Arkansas could have done.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it forces people to make more ethical decisions. a lot of people dont have the restraint to pass up a 2 year old 6, or 8 point buck. but, on the other hand i dont think it helps the herd to let poor gene'd deer grow to an old age. last year i seen a prime example of this. i hunt in a county park with the same qdm rules. i seen a 6 point buck that looked like it was 10 years old and easily topped 300 pounds. this buck was so big his stomach was almost dragging the ground. you could make a car cover out of his hide! i also seen a buck that was deformed and had 3 points on one side. with a spike, and a spatula sticking out of the other. i was tempted to do the wrong thing and shoot the deformed buck just to get him out of the gene pool. i'm kinda up in the air on this subject. if it was my property. i would shoot the really older, lower quality bucks, and the deformed. not everyone thinks this way though. if you could shoot any deer there at all. there would not be as many bucks as we see now.

4. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks! And I'm still undecided on the reg. for now. I hunt in a county where any buck is fair game. Last season I hunted, and turned down a very health 6 pointer with a tall, wide rack that was begging to be shot. I walked him out of a draw, and he just stood there 50 yards away looking at me for several minutes. My crosshairs were on him 3 times before I waved him off. I didn't shoot him because his coat was a nice red color, and his gut wasn't bulging yet. Guessed him at 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years old. Figure he will make a dandy wall hanger. That was season before last. Hopefully, he's still in the neighborhood. The season before, I saw 3 mature bucks with large racks, but I just downed a doe, and all I had was 1 any deer tag. Hopefully, I will get to hunt this same area again this year. I know there has got to be some monsters in there. Just don't have much time to scout, or pick and choose a deer like some do.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Matt, where do you hunt?

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Most of the time I hunt on the Pulaski/Phelps County line so the 4 point rule applies for me. Now I have only hunted these woods for 3 seasons, and I'm not even sure how long the rule has been in affect (it could only be a few years and not had time to take affect). This season I haven't seen a buck yet... but last year I saw I'd say around 10-15 different bucks. All but two were spikes, and the two that were legal shooters were still not "shooter" size... even for me who hasn't shot a buck yet. Now that you raised the question and I think about it, this is probably playing a role in why the bucks around that part seem a little sub- par (but probably not the only reason). I'll probably never know the real reason they seem to be small around that part, there is hardly any hunting pressure at all so I know there have to be some old ones out there. All in all though, I guess I can't say that I'm against the rule... it does keep people from killing all the young bucks before they can grow up and have the potential to be big.

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i dont think the mdc is worried about to many genetically inferior bucks slipping thru to breed.they are counting on the odds that if you let them grow they will reach their INDIVIDUAL potontial and certainly be bigger than if you shot them while they were still young.we are talking missouri here the genetic potential is already here if you just give them time.if i want meat i will shoot a doe not a small buck .

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like your states are taking an active role in increasing the quality of your herd. More states should be as pro-active. Indiana is getting there. The Midwest is generally the national honey hole for whitetail hunting and Indiana seems to be it's misfit. Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Missouri all consistently produce bucks of huge proportions. Only occasionally do you hear of a monster coming out of the Hoosier state. We're getting there though; this year is the second installment of a five year "one buck" rule. Hunters are only allowed to harvest one buck across all the hunting seasons. The only exception is if you bowhunt predefined "urban" areas. Then you are allowed one additional buck. I would really like to see Indiana put a size restriction on our deer in addition to the bag limit. Maybe then over time we can start to compete with the rest of the Midwest.

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I live in Boone County, but plan on hunting in Audrain County. I have access to private land in both, but feel the odds are better with the Audrain spot, as I have seen these bucks already several times, and think there's a good chance to bag a nice trophy. Could also hunt up near New Cambria, but it's a long drive for me to go hunting. Big deer up there though.

Problem with the Boone county spot is it is on 3000 acres. Yes, deer are thick there, but I'm not very informed on their hideouts. All I've seen there so far is does. The neighbors there get permission from MDC in the summer to kill nuasence deer. Without antlers, it's hard during the summer to know what you are killing. A couple of years ago, I think they killed 30 deer off the neighboring property, and the bucks are skiddish. Can't blame them either.

In Audrain County, I know their funnels along the pipelines which lead into fields surrounded by woods, and a couple of wooded draws. I know where they travel there, and have seen very nice bucks there.

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have often pondered the QDM system. But not until I hunted on the Redstone Arsenal did I really understand it. Before they started the QDM program they had everyone shooting anything buck wise that moved. And with this mentality of some, not all of the hunters the biggest buck that came to the check station was maybe in the 120-130 class. Now that they started the QDM program I have seen pictures and deer in the 150-170 class and some I would guess would be closer to the 190 class. Saying all that to say this. If it was king for a day I would let a child under the age of 12 shoot a lesser buck if it was his first deer.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Great! If there are does, believe me, there are bucks. If you haven't seen any bucks, it's probably because they are very good at hiding. Translation, NICE ODDS OF A BIG BUCK!
    ??? The only time the bucks wouldn't have any sign of antlers would be within the first couple of months after shedding. In summer, their antlers should be in full velvet.
    I hunt on a 3500 acre farm straight north of you, Schuyler County, that is about 1/3 forested. We kill at least 100 deer a year off it, 80% does. (We self impose an 8 point minimum on all bucks.) We are not even coming close to putting a dent in the overall population. We can drive around the farm around Christmas time and see just as many deer as we did before the hunting season.
    Before the rut, using spotting scopes to see deer feeding in alfalfa 1/2 -1 mile away, we see many 14-18 point bucks. I have seen 6 of those together in one field one time. Usually, one or two of those will get killed by our group before the season is over. With 25 hunters or so, hunting hard over that farm, the others are never seen but will show up again around Christmas. Have they left the farm? I doubt it, plenty of does still around to keep them close. I think they are just great at hiding. (One was seen by a late arriving hunter, at 1 am, within 100 yards of the camp in plain sight in an open field)