Council Grove Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Jan 31, 2008.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Does anyone fish this lake? I live about 30 min. N.e. from there. Never here any talk from anybody about it. Is the fishing any good or more just a boating and water sporting place?

Thank,
    CHRIS

2. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Where's it located?

3. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I hear alot of people go up there for the crappie. I am sure there are catfish to but just never hear to much about anybody catching them up there.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I n north eastern KS. on 177 hwy coucil grove ks about 40 min south of the little apple.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have done a some crappie fishing there. I have not had a lot of luck with the cats. Most of the ones that we have hooked in to were little ones.

6. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    i use to fish it years ago and had some pretty good luck on the river arm side in 2 foot of water fish around the stumps or get along weed beds when they start showing up. a couple other good lakes in that area are marion, tuttle creek and milford.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Council Grove is known for both cats and crappies, or at least it was a few
    years back. Big flatheads were caught pretty regularly on setlines in the
    upper end of the lake. Channels tended to be scattered around the lake.
    Don't remember much talk of blue cats. Crappie were in most of the coves
    around sunken tree fish attractors. I haven't fished there in about eight
    years now. I imagine its still worth poking around and seeing what you could
    find. Check at the marina and some of the bait shops in town and see what
    folks will tell you. I used to fish for crappie with my father-in-law around
    the Munker's Creek area and around the island. I'd drift the flats on the east
    side to see what some cut shad might scare up when it got a little warmer.
    Just haven't felt like fishing there since my father-in-law passed on some
    years ago. Ought to go back for old times sake maybe in the spring. The city
    lake isn't bad fishing either but I think there's a lake fee to pay there unless
    things have changed.

8. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    council grove is awesome. I always go back in munkers creek and do well. at the mouth of munkers there is a stump field. That is an excellent place to run setlines. also, munkers is an awesome place to catch crappie in the spring and bucket loads of white bass. Munkers creek is out of the wind too so you can turn a day of fighting the wind in the boat to a calm day.

9. Mapfish

Mapfish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish that lake about 20 years ago and man did we catch some good crappie.I don,t think any lake in Kansas has the crappie they used to have.I make maps for the Garmin gps and I have one for council grove lake.You might want to check out my website. http://www.greatplainsmapping.com/
    I hope the moderator doesn,t mind me directing you to my website.
    Old retired cogger
    Regards
    Jack Baker