Council Bluffs Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Manny, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Has anyone ever fished the Council Bluffs lake , Ive seen a couple real nice cats in the shallow while i was bass fishing a while back. ???

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Do you mean Lake Manawa? They got cats in there. But the boaters and jet-skiers rule the day, and lots of good fishing there at night. Though I must admit, I havent fished there in years.

3. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    YA MANNY I HAVE FISHED IT QUITE ABIT AND CAUGHT SEVERAL NICE CATS OUT OF THERE.

4. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    HEY MANNY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT COUNCIL BLUFFS DOWN BY SALEM MO. IF YOU ARE I HAVE CAUHGT SOME NICE CATS OUT OF THERE.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Council Bluff Lake (Iron & Washington Counties) was built about 1982 or so. It was stocked with bluegill, crappie, largemouth bass, channelcats AND BLUECATS. Remember the last, I'll get back to it. The lake is around 485 acres and although shallow through most of the lake, it does get down to 85 ft near the dam. Over the years, the lake has been fished hard for bass. (Oddly enough, they rarely hit anything but purple worms, go figure) The crappie are still there, but they never really took off in either size or numbers. Bluegill are still around and nice numbers and size. The channelcats are also fished hard, but not as much as in years past. The lake got a reputation for the catfish having been all caught out. Now I used to know most of the folks that catfished that lake over the years. They all had two things in common. They loved using worms and stinkbait when trying for catfish. Sometimes they would use chicken livers. They caught enough catfish on these baits to keep them happy. They other thing they had in common is that they only fished the shallow edges near timber. Boats were only for transportation to a likely standing timber site.

Now for the real news.
    Somehow, over the years, everyone forgot about the bluecats that were stocked. Remember, the lake has a large section that is 85 ft deep? Hmmm, now where do you suppose those blues have been hiding for the past 25 years or so? Shad to my knowledge, is never used for bait on this lake. There is no current to speak of. No one to my knowledge has EVER targeted the bluecats there.

Now it's entirely possible that they never survived to begin with. Who knows?
    On the other hand, wouldn't ya like to be the one to find out?

There now, I have given out my secret. In return, I would like for you to tell me how you do when you go there with bluecats in mind.

6. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    HEY KUTTER GOOD REPORT. I DID NOT KNOW THAT THEY STOCKED IT WITH BLUECATS, IVE FISHED IT QUITE ABIT, AND ALL I EVER CAUGHT WAS CHANNEL CAT , BUT I GUESS I NEED TO TAKE A DIFFERANT APPROACH NEXT TIME I GO THERE . :big_smile:

7. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    new to catfishing how does one go about focusing on those blues??

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Well, now that question could take all night to answer. How about a few basics? Blues tend to like current, deep water and large open spaces. They will eat live bait, but will just as readily go after fresh cut bait. Shad is what they seem to prefer the most. Forget stinkbait. Forget dip bait. Forget shallow water. Now the last one is not always the case, but we're talking the basics.
    If I were to fish Council Bluff lake, this is what I would do. First off, I'd find that deep part of the lake and start circling the edge of the deep to get a feel for it. What I would be looking for is where the edge of the deep is closest to a shallow area that has plenty of structure. I am thinking the blues would come out of that deep to feed and looking for where the baitfish would be. Baitfish tend to hide in the thickest cover they can find. The lake is not know for a large population of shad, so don't worry if you can't find any. Simply break out the bluegill rod and get your bait that way. Incidentally, the boat dock area is a haven for bluegill. If you do use shad, hook them in the back and cut their bellies open. If using bluegill, which stay alive so much longer, I'd fish them alive first and then if that didn't produce, I'd use them as cut bait. Might not hurt to try them alive right down smack in the middle of the deepest hole.
    Good luck!

9. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Thanks for the info Kutter i went down there today with no luck, the deepest part was right next to the overflow.

It was 87ft deep at its deepest, Their were tons of fish there suspended and at the bottom. I couldnt get them to bite for nothing, I used shrimp, dead big minnows,( they didnt survive the trip) chicken liver, and worms.

The small bluegills i cought the night before i went died.
    Thats not to say i presented any of the bait correct, im really new to this.
    or maybe its the SPAWN.

From what im reading everywhere i picked the absulote worst month to get into catfishing. Hopefully July picks up, ive yet to even catch a keeper :crazy:

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ok, I missed it by two ft, I stand corrected. LOL:big_smile:

If they were in the spawn, I doubt they would all be in the deep.

The worst time to fish is when they aren't biting, whatever the reason.