could you handle a 150 pound catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by HOKIEFISHER, Mar 31, 2009.

could your rods handle a 150 pounder?

1. I'm certain my rods could handle a 150 pounder

2. I'm not sure if they could or not

3. I know my rods couldn't handle a 150 pounder

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    There was anouther poll asking if there were anymore 150# catfish out there, and I was wondering who thought they could get it in if you were to hook one?
    I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle a 150 pounder with the set ups I have now.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    this is what we need a newbie posting great followups like this 1 . as for my polls and me i dont think i could handle a 150 pounder im to wore out and my tAckle is a lil lite. the excitement would be to much i would over work him or her i reckon and it would be another fish tale

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    my catfish rigs have to double as salt water rigs to and ive caught rays up to 150 lbs and sharks up to 300 on the rigs i catfish with so unless it gets in the rocks or woods im sure my rigs would handle a 150 lb.cat.i sure would like to get the chance any way. lol

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Why, certainly! :wink::smile2::wink: BTW: Welcome to the BOC from sunny South Carolina!

Bill in SC

5. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I have no doubt my rigs could handle the job...plus due to my livewell I feel firm that I could transport the fish safely to get him certified and then back to his home....

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I know my equipment would hold up, not sire if I could though :eek:oooh: :smile2:

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Umm, if you're in doubt about your gears ability, better take up bream fishing and leave the big cats alone. LOL. Besides, I always need a new bait supplier. :smile2:

8. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    My set ups are cheap 7-8ft MH rods, 3 have 30lb Fire line and okuma ABF50s, a Basspro Catmaxx with 30lb p-line, and a few other assorted reels. I expect it would be rite fun to hook one, untill the fish got down to my backing then I'd probaly get real worried real quick.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Those old Penn 209's are a beast. I would feel super confident my rods and reels could handle it. Now I usually only run 30 pound line so it might give out though.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    if your in a boat and can keep your cool you might be able to throw your anchor and set off on the battle of a life time. if your on the bank lol not gonna happen fella unless you can run a clear mile either way real fast. most of these fellas are lying a 150 pounder would give them cat fever ,they would loose control and over kill would happen . i know i would

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A good fisherman could land a big fish on sub par gear. With proper control of your drag I think you'd be suprised what you can land. I would be less concerned with my gear and more concerned with how I am playing the fish. I think the only big gear concern would be possibly bent hooks or light line in heavy cover.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id like to find out:wink:

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am sure me and my rigs would hold up. I also use my stuff for salt and freshwater. I have caught Grouper over #400 so I know I could handle it and I use Star custom rods with Penn reels spooled up with #100 Power Pro, so I am sure my gear could handle it. I hope I get the chance to find out :wink:.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ugly Stik all the way baby !!!!!

15. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    My rod/reel would be fine but I would have quite a time trying to fit it in my net.

16. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I don't know. I have 3 Ugly Stick catfish series with Ambassadeurs and a Cat Maxx (Bass Pro Shops) with a Ambassadeur. All of them are spooled with 20 lb. Excel line. I would give it hell though !!!!! I might jump in after it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
  18. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    You can land a 150 from the bank... the former 121lb record, and several other former records were all caught from the bank. I believe that the 121lb was caught on 25lb line, a spinning reel, and a surf rod. Standard stuff for most bank fisherman on big waters. :wink:

19. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I think you could catch a 150lb fish on a ultra light if you work the fish accordley to your equipment .:cool2:

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Maybe in a small lake, but definitely not in a fast moving river. I highly doubt a 150 lb. fish would be in a lake anyway, so probably not. :cool2: