could you handle a 150 pound catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by HOKIEFISHER, Mar 31, 2009.

could your rods handle a 150 pounder?

1. I'm certain my rods could handle a 150 pounder

2. I'm not sure if they could or not

3. I know my rods couldn't handle a 150 pounder

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    There was anouther poll asking if there were anymore 150# catfish out there, and I was wondering who thought they could get it in if you were to hook one?
    I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle a 150 pounder with the set ups I have now.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    this is what we need a newbie posting great followups like this 1 . as for my polls and me i dont think i could handle a 150 pounder im to wore out and my tAckle is a lil lite. the excitement would be to much i would over work him or her i reckon and it would be another fish tale

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    my catfish rigs have to double as salt water rigs to and ive caught rays up to 150 lbs and sharks up to 300 on the rigs i catfish with so unless it gets in the rocks or woods im sure my rigs would handle a 150 lb.cat.i sure would like to get the chance any way. lol

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Why, certainly! :wink::smile2::wink: BTW: Welcome to the BOC from sunny South Carolina!

Bill in SC

5. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I have no doubt my rigs could handle the job...plus due to my livewell I feel firm that I could transport the fish safely to get him certified and then back to his home....

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I know my equipment would hold up, not sire if I could though :eek:oooh: :smile2:

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Umm, if you're in doubt about your gears ability, better take up bream fishing and leave the big cats alone. LOL. Besides, I always need a new bait supplier. :smile2:

8. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    My set ups are cheap 7-8ft MH rods, 3 have 30lb Fire line and okuma ABF50s, a Basspro Catmaxx with 30lb p-line, and a few other assorted reels. I expect it would be rite fun to hook one, untill the fish got down to my backing then I'd probaly get real worried real quick.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Those old Penn 209's are a beast. I would feel super confident my rods and reels could handle it. Now I usually only run 30 pound line so it might give out though.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    if your in a boat and can keep your cool you might be able to throw your anchor and set off on the battle of a life time. if your on the bank lol not gonna happen fella unless you can run a clear mile either way real fast. most of these fellas are lying a 150 pounder would give them cat fever ,they would loose control and over kill would happen . i know i would

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A good fisherman could land a big fish on sub par gear. With proper control of your drag I think you'd be suprised what you can land. I would be less concerned with my gear and more concerned with how I am playing the fish. I think the only big gear concern would be possibly bent hooks or light line in heavy cover.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id like to find out:wink:

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am sure me and my rigs would hold up. I also use my stuff for salt and freshwater. I have caught Grouper over #400 so I know I could handle it and I use Star custom rods with Penn reels spooled up with #100 Power Pro, so I am sure my gear could handle it. I hope I get the chance to find out :wink:.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ugly Stik all the way baby !!!!!

15. bream reaper

bream reaper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My rod/reel would be fine but I would have quite a time trying to fit it in my net.

16. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I don't know. I have 3 Ugly Stick catfish series with Ambassadeurs and a Cat Maxx (Bass Pro Shops) with a Ambassadeur. All of them are spooled with 20 lb. Excel line. I would give it hell though !!!!! I might jump in after it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :smile2:

18. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    You can land a 150 from the bank... the former 121lb record, and several other former records were all caught from the bank. I believe that the 121lb was caught on 25lb line, a spinning reel, and a surf rod. Standard stuff for most bank fisherman on big waters. :wink:

19. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I think you could catch a 150lb fish on a ultra light if you work the fish accordley to your equipment .:cool2:

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Maybe in a small lake, but definitely not in a fast moving river. I highly doubt a 150 lb. fish would be in a lake anyway, so probably not. :cool2: