could you go by these rules

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 24, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am very secrative about the few good flathead spots I have.

I bank fish, so I dont have a boat to find new locations.

It only takes one person saying something then everyone knows and you can kiss your good spot good by.

So I asked you this.

If someone offered to take you to a killer flathead hole could you live with these rules, even tho it's public water.

1- never tell anyone, not even your best friend about the spot.

2- never fish this spot without being invited, even tho like I said it's public water, you must consider it the private spot of the person who showed it to you..

Two very simple rules, could you live by them?...I know I could because I know how hard it is to find good flathead spots.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds very reasonable to me Jack! People have to respect what information is given to them

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The people who I have fished with and showed my spots to are very trustworthy, I dont have many friends but they know they can fish my spots anytime, because I know they respect the sport and keep things to themselfs.

Roger, Mellon, and some of the dayton guys are very cool, because they know how hard it is to find good spots in this day and age with incresed pressure on our beloved flatheads.

And if I find new spots in the future those guys will be the first to know about them.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Of course a person should be able to follow those rules. I feel the same way.

5. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree. At a minimum, someone shouldn't bring or tell anyone else about the site, nor should they fish it everyday...

I have to admit that I've fished sites that I was told about without being invited or with the person who told me, but they weren't "super secret" sites - as told to me by the person who gave them up...

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The reason I ask is this.

A fellow I work with has been bugging me to take him fishing, his biggest flat is around 18-lbs and he has been fishing for them for a decade or better.

I know I could put him on a bigger fish.

When I told him about the above rules. his responce was DUDE! it's public water I will tell who I want and take who I want there.

So guess what, he aint going fishing with me:smile2:

7. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF THEY ARE A TRUE FRIEND THEY SHOULD LIVE BY THE RULES.
    AND YES I WOULD LIVE BY THOSE RULES.
    THAT IS RESPECT TO A REAL GOOD FRIEND ,WHO WOULD SHARE HIS BEST SPOT WITH HIS FRIENDS.:cool2:

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jack Sorta like your good mushroom spot,tell your buddies where there at and the jigs up everyone knows about them in short order.I made a post two years ago about this same subject.I took a fella that I had known for along time fishing with me to the spot I had found on the Missouri River that was holding large Flats and we boated 2 nice ones that night.Anyway about a week later this same guy that I thought was a good friend was driving around town with 4 large Flats in the back of his pickup truck showing everyone the fish and telling them where he had caught them.(My Hot Spot)Really Pissed me off big time as I release all the flats and blues i catch after a picture and a weight But Chanel cat is another story,the ones between 3/7 pounds go in the freezer as I Loves them babys.Needless to say I keep My Good spots to myself anymore.With that said there are a Fue here on the BOC that I Believe I could Trust,You being one of them Jack.Tight Lines Bubby and Hope You have a Great Year.J.D.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where I came from, if someone showed you a spot that they had. I wouldn't even go fish it by myself without atleast calling them to see if they wanted to go with me, or cared I was gonna go back and fish it by myself. I guess some people are more trustworthy than others. I have been burned before, and it has made me smarter now. I have taken some people that I don't know to well past just calling them a "friend" But, I have taken them to known spots, that many other locals know about and they are "obvious" spots. And at that have got burned, and have heard others speak later about these locations that came from the "horses" mouth. Thats how you can instantly weed out "friends" and "true friends" Now, my best spots, I have one true friend thats in my profile pic. That knows these spots. And another "true friend" that I lake fish with. I showed him all my places, and he showed me the places he fishes. Thats two people in 20 years of flathead fishing I will fish everywhere with! We have that trust built! Alot of them are small areas we pin point from a boat, and aren't obvious spots.I have spent many hours on the water to find these places to fish, and the average fisherman motors right over them day in and day out. I will take no one to these spots but them two guys. As the sport of catfishing keeps growing and the abundance of people on the water. Its difficult to keep what secrets you may still have to yourself. Call me a prick if you must! But, thats just the name of the game, and until I decide to hang it up totally, I will never share many of these locations. And even then, will probably still tell you that you need to put the time in and find them yourselves:wink:

10. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'd tryied to meet a new fishing buddy at my favorite spot & got burned. I told the person exactly when & where & that person never showed up. But someone did do a drive by blowing the horn instead of shooting!:sad2:

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jack
    The rules are just common certousy . The guy at work is the kind of people you don't tell.With an attitude like he had you might as well drop a stick of DYNAMITE in the bottom of the hole as to tell him. JMO
    I would let 18# keep being his PB. I would not tell him squat, let alone take him anywhere.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree 100%! Those 2 rules are not out of the question at all. I'd be more than happy to follow those to have the chance at catching a new PB Flattie.
    Give me a holler, I'll follow them and you can put me on a new PB Flattie...:wink:

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jack....I'd say not to give your spot to this guy!!! I have found that there are very few people in this world that you can actually trust nowadays. However a true friend should be able to be trusted with a good spot. JMO:wink:

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jack I believe the request of keeping the special spot quiet is respectable and sportsman like. I would keep that secret if asked. However I have learned that season changes, weather conditions, and the food chain moves these secret spots and consideration should be given if someone is seen fishing in the general area of a once hot spot.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Man I had a sweet spot until I took my brother in law to it . Now he brings his brother and about 7 of his inlaws to it , all of them from Missouri . Thats how sweet the spot is they drive a hour and 20 minutes to fish it almost daily in the summer . The only thing i got on my side is they cant fish worth a crap they tie on big weights ( yep tie them on ) I be damned if im going to show them how to set up the rig lol . Another good fact is they dont have but a little 12 foot skinny jon boat that looks like it could sink at any minute they can only fit 2 people on it and make more noise then a train .

He asked me not to long ago how the fishing was there i told him it sucks and gave lots of info. about a new lake i been fishing , even though i havent lol .
    and the bait worked he said " i will have to check that out " lol . I hate to be an a$$ considering it is public water but good god why mess up a good thing .

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would not have a problem not telling anyone

This is a little different, if I were invited to fish the spot and fished there with the person that invited me then later wanted to fish it again would I ask the person if they wanted to go to the spot again yes would I not fish it if the other person could not fish no. Now would I invite someone else to fish with me without letting the other person know, I would not do that.

Now this guys attitude is wrong and I would not take him. But if he were to see you fishing thats a different story.

I can see you point that you dont want a spot to get over fished but unless its totaly hidden you dont know if someone hasnt fished it before.

17. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    He sure as heck would not be going with me . It might be public water but you found the spot. I say let him find bigger fish by himself.

18. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    The Rules are very reasonable. If he doens't want to respect them it's his loss. Maybe you should get him signed up to the BOC and let him spend some time online. Give him a few months of being a BOC brother and then see if he has matured enough to be allowed fishing that spot.

19. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think those rules are acceptable.I would only take true friends Jack, the ones that have proven trustworthy. I know we fish the same river about 30 miles apart, there are some nice fish in it but the productive spots are few and far in betweeen.I have the egde of owning a jet boat so I can travel this river fairly easily. One thing I have noticed in the past 4 years is that there are about 10 more jets running this river around here compared to the 3 of us that have been running jets for years. I have hidden many times from passing boaters so they could not find me. There are a few around here when they see my truck at the ramp in the evenings they are snooping around to find where I fish. I have even reeled in and moved when I hear an oncoming boat so I don't give up my position.lol Good luck this year.

20. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Good points Jack and very reasonable. The guy from work I agree with that attitude let him find his own fish. I've even hid some spots from my brother. He'd hear about me catching a few good fish and ask where'd you catch them at? Simple reply was; in the river...