Could use some inventive ideas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by jconna, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    A fellow member pointed me to Kentucky :smile2: for possible opinions or help. You have a local member that is apparently able to fish one armed? Would really love to hear his and/or any other brothers/sisters opinions

I'm going to the Lower James for a 5-day fishing trip in 3 weeks. That’s the good…… Bad is I just broke a bone in my left hand and they have me wrapped up all the way past my forearm. I could really use some ideas on how to rig something up so that I can still hookset and torque with that left arm.

I plan on picking up one of those deep sea fishing belts with a cup to support the bottom of the pole but I’m still not there yet…. Need some method of attaching something to my forearm, wrist, or anywhere really that will take the pressure off of my hand and fingers, but still give me power and directional control with my left arm. Then it somehow needs to be able to attach or hook onto the rod when needed.

I’m throwing around an idea or two myself but very preliminary at this point. Would definitely welcome some opinions....Any inventors out there?

2. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You can go to MYoutdoortv.com look for Kentucky Afield and watch videos of this guy fishing.

3. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    LOL....You're everywhere Aaron :haha: I'll check it out....Thanks

4. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just trying to help a Brother out.:smile2::smile2: This guy is amazing,hunts, fishes everything with one arm.:smile2::smile2:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The simplest thing that I can think of is just to leave your pole in the rod holder. Use your free hand to adjust the drag and crank.:wink:
    I think I would stay away from any sort of attachments. The wrong move at the right time could snap that bone again! It would only take a split second! :crazy:

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jeff
    Can you still move your arm at your elbow??? next question are you going to be using spinning or bait casting equipment???
    with the deep sea belt would it be possible to use the crook in your elbow to support the rod?? this would possible work with bait casting equipment.

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Thats funny Jeff my wife has one hand do to a house fire and she cats with me every year

8. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Not a bad idea Ken....Could be the start of something. At least for when I get them in closer to the boat. But yes....Sling runs up to about 4" below the elbow so complete function, and I'm running baitcasters. Thanks...

andrew76...tell your wife I feel for her...kinda sucks!! lol, and that I hope she gets better soon

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I actually tested the theory before I posted the idea. I believe it will work. Not as good as two hands but an alternative that could save a trip from turning into disappointment.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I'd set the rod next to the cast use a roll of duct tape to prevent it from getting away on me and pray to GOD i don't hook into a monster :smile2:

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    If your going to use a butt belt, make or get you a neck line that goes from you to the rod or use reel hook lines to the belt it self, this will allow you to add rod pressure simply by bending your knees and take all weight and pressure off of your broken wing.......allowing you to operate the reel with your good arm and still apply pressure and do the pump and reel like you would normally...... look in salt water equipment to find the fighting belt with reel hook lines or simply make some up yourself.will work well for you.
    This one is a bit over-kill, but the photo will give you the idea....
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...a=&cm_ite=netcon&rid=0180101070502&hasJS=true

12. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Very nice Randy....I have a few Abu Garcia Records and there is nowhere to use reel hooks, but if I could figure out how to attach it somewhere else without it sliding around, I would gladly spend the $80 to have a better trip.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well could ya have someone help ya adapt something to it like maybe a conduit clamp of some type? there are several styles out there that I know ya could temporarily add to the rod handle some where to work for ya? here are some different designs and sizes to get an idea of what I am thinking..... place 1 or 2 as close to the reel as ya can to keep out of way of line and I bet ya can come up with something that will work.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?

14. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    You have me on a good track Randy....I'll need to make a trip into Home Depot and look around. Thinking I might try to come up with a method of attaching a dog collar to the rod. Strong and will give me a nice ring to click in when I need. Tighten it down with a clamp and good to go.

15. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts / ideas. Will let you know how things go....Thanks again

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Keep us posted on what you come up with, and how your trip goes.