Could use some help reading a tide chart

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Nov 1, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Does anybody here have experience reading a Tide chart:

H/L..... Tide Time..... Height Ft.
    Low..... 5:19AM..... 0.5
    High..... 11:06AM..... 2.4
    Low..... 5:35PM..... 0.5
    High..... 11:35PM..... 2.4

Do I read it as the Low tide starts to roll out at 5:19, or is 5:19 the lowest point of the low tide and the water is about to go slack and high tide start rolling in? I used it one time and I must have read it wrong because the tides were way off from the chart.

2. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    these times are the peaks and lows. So 5:19 would be the lowest point.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    from what i know (which isnt much depending on who you ask) its like looking at the moon chart on a calendar. the low tide @ 5:19 is when the tide is at its lowest point. the high tide is when it is at its highest point. so if you are looking for a good time to go out and want to catch either the tide coming in or the tide going out, just shoot for the time in between the 2. low to high for incoming tides and high to low for outgoing tides.

4. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Joshua send me a pm about the tides charts.
    I Have a good link but I cant get it to post...
    mikeb

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
  6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The 'height' figures are the highest and lowest points, so yes, both would be at the beginning of slack tide. When fishing inshore saltwater, many spots produce well only at certain points of a tide. For instance, a large flat that has to drain through a relatively narrow channel concentrates all the fish that are leaving the flat till the next high tide. These figures are in relation to the legally defined coastline height, so you will occasionally see a negative number for low tide. This is called a 'neap' tide. We used to watch for those when I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, CA so we could wade out and get abalone off the rock jetty. An exceptionally high tide is referred to as a 'spring' tide.

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
  8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    This is all awesome information guys! Thank you all very much. I can say I know how to read a tide chart now.:wink:

9. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia