Could use some help here

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by jconna, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm going to the Lower James for a 5-day fishing trip in 3 weeks. That’s the good…… Bad is I just broke a bone in my left hand and they have me wrapped up all the way past my forearm. I could really use some ideas on how to rig something up so that I can still hookset and torque with that left arm.

I plan on picking up one of those deep sea fishing belts with a cup to support the bottom of the pole but I’m still not there yet…. Need some method of attaching something to my forearm, wrist, or anywhere really that will take the pressure off of my hand and fingers, but still give me power and directional control with my left arm. Then it somehow needs to be able to attach or hook onto the rod when needed.

I’m throwing around an idea or two myself but very preliminary at this point. Would definitely welcome some opinions....Any inventors out there?

2. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Take a peak at Kentucky Afield guy on there fishes with one arm,may give you some ideals.Circle hooks may also be an option,just use the reel down method,works pretty good for me.:smile2::smile2:

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Leave your rod in the rodholder, reel with your good hand. Use big 8/0 Gamagatzu Circle Hooks with your reels engaged and the fish will hook themselves. Good luck.

4. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks Kenneth....Figured you'd chime in :smile2:. Would probably take a little fun out of the fight but a very viable option. Possibly even my best option under the circumstances....May very well be it, but I would really like to be able to hold the rod if I can come up with something a little more proactive. Have a few weeks yet but guess we'll see?? Thanks

5. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg
    take me with you i can fight the fish for you you can take pictures and tell everyone how good you did lol best of luck had both hands operated last spring still got to get some small fish in

6. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Last year when we took out the solders on the Wounded Warrior Trip we played around with nylon dog leashes made into a two shoulder harness in conjunction with the fighting belts.
    Just attach a snap hook on the rods for a quick attachment point
    I had it worked out so that you could raise the fish up with the harness and reel down to him with the good hand.
    The gimble in the belt stopped the rod from twisting.
    The circle hooks take care of themselves.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excellent idea Bruce!

8. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Dog leashes.....Excellent idea....Thanks

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Better yet, hook up with Kenneth...He would be glad to pull them in for you, but I'm sure he'd let you hold them for the picture! :wink:

Sorry to hear about the arm issue. Get well soon!

10. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    lol.....Now why didn't I think of that? At least if I went with Kenneth, I'd get my pic taken with some nice fish :wink:

Bruce....Great thing you're doing for the soldiers...Very cool

11. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts / ideas. Will let you know how things go....Thanks again