Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Could use some advice

725 Views 36 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  River_monster91
So ive been trying for my first flathead the past month or so from shore. Im using 2x baitrunner reels spooled with 80 lb moss green power pro. Theres a sinker slide on the power pro that im using disc/coin sinkers with. After the braid is a barrel swivel connected to 2 or so feet of 30 lb mono clear colored. At the end of the mono is 5/0 or so kahle hook. Ive been using small bluegill as bait. Ive been getting 2-3 bites per night but nothing hooked. I just ordered some mad catter 7/0 hooks and am planning to switch from an improved clinch knot to a snell knot on the hooks once they arrive. So far ive got 9 or so good bites over the past 3 outings but nothing hooked. What am i doing wrong?
Reactions: 4
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Most likey nothing, flathead can be hard to catch! Make sure there actually flathead in the body of water your trying. If so fish close to any cover you might see, trees, rocks, logjams etc. Patience is the biggest thing. Goodluck!
Reactions: 5
I like bigger hooks 80 10o maybe hooking bait to deep
Keep at it you will hook up if you're fishing with 2 poles maybe try a 3 way rig with a short dropper line 6" or so and a leader line 14" or so maybe try using cutbait bluegill Head
Good luck looking forward to seeing pictures
I like using 65 lb braid but do use 40 lb mono where its very rocky.I like using braid on a float rig 5-6' off the bottom drifting ledges or old flooded timber.My bottom rig is 65 lb braid to swivel then a 5' or so length of 30 or 40 lb mono to a sinker.Back up at the swivel(the same eye as I tie on the sinker)I tie on a 24-30" piece of 40 lb mono to either a 7/0-10/0 circle or J hook.I've had luck with both the circle and J hooks and I've missed fish with both.Flatheads are a fickle beast..........if using a J hook use patience making sure he has it in his mouth before setting the hook.I kind of like circle hooks better because as he mouths the bait I can gently reel in,most flatheads struggle to hang on to that bait presenting the perfect opportunity to reel down on him and set the hook.There is no perfect method but you will find what works for you ............then I want pics.
See less See more
I like the bigger Hook idea..... Keep it you'll get one....
I keep getting fish to run with the bait then drop it after a couple seconds. Should i set the hook quicker or wait till the fish really takes it? I use baitrunner reels with sinker slides
Let them run good with akahle hook before setting.
Have you tried a double hook rig? Sometimes they grab the bait too far back and never actually have ahold of the hook.
Have you tried a double hook rig? Sometimes they grab the bait too far back and never actually have ahold of the hook.
What knot would you recommend for this? Snell at the end then palomar for 2nd hook?

Same style hook for both?
Reactions: 1
I’m just getting back into fishing seen after a few years. I had the same luck with flatheads as you back then. Thanks for posting your question I needed the information as well. I plane on a rig similar to yours but I’m going to circle hooks this time with a wide gap and snell knot to where the leader is coming out of the front of the eye towards the tip so the line pulls the hook back. Making sure I hook my bait shallow as not to fill the gap so the hook can do it’s job. Example a perch head hooked just through the eyes maybe.
Most of all though I’m going to do my best to de patient.
Post pictures of the beast when you land it and please share what rig you found worked for you. I may be way off with mine but I gotta start somewhere.
Good luck.
What knot would you recommend for this? Snell at the end then palomar for 2nd hook?

Same style hook for both?
Try two hooks with bent eyes and snell both of them. You will get a better hookset with this setup. Place one hook up through the mouth and the second one under the dorsal fins. If the fish grabs your bait by the body instead of the head, this will give you a better chance of still hooking the fish. Flathead are sneaky sometimes. I had to learn this the hard way. I missed out on a really nice fish one time because it grabbed the bait by the side and dropped my bait. I had a 10" sucker on, and when I reeled it in, it had teeth marks covering almost the entire length of the body. I was pissed off. I learned my lesson that day.
Try two hooks with bent eyes and snell both of them. You will get a better hookset with this setup. Place one hook up through the mouth and the second one under the dorsal fins. If the fish grabs your bait by the body instead of the head, this will give you a better chance of still hooking the fish. Flathead are sneaky sometimes. I had to learn this the hard way. I missed out on a really nice fish one time because it grabbed the bait by the side and dropped my bait. I had a 10" sucker on, and when I reeled it in, it had teeth marks covering almost the entire length of the body. I was pissed off. I learned my lesson that day.
Thanks! If it's not too much of a bother, can you link me a youtube video that covers how to tie all this? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by a bent eye. I just ordered some 7/0 mad catter hooks. Will they suffice?
Reactions: 2
Here is a video link below of tying a double hook rig with a snell knot. If the video starts farther along, scroll back and start it from the beginning. Below is a screenshot of a Mad Catter Khale hook with a bent eye. This is what you need. The line will be through the hook eye and in line with the shank of both hooks after they are snelled on. The video shows how to do this and adjust the space in-between the hooks for the size of bait you are using. I hope this helps you.

Double hook rig

See less See more
Here is a video link below of tying a double hook rig with a snell knot. If the video starts farther along, scroll back and start it from the beginning. Below is a screenshot of a Mad Catter Khale hook with a bent eye. This is what you need. The line will be through the hook eye and in line with the shank of both hooks after they are snelled on. The video shows how to do this and adjust the space in-between the hooks for the size of bait you are using. I hope this helps you.

Double hook rig

View attachment 334433
Sweet. Thanks, man. Are the 7/0 mad catters i ordered too big? I see your picture is of 4.4/0
They are not too big, if you are after big fish and you are using a large bait. You might want to order some smaller sizes also, just in case you want to use some more moderate size baits. It mostly depends on the size of your bait because even a 15-pound flathead can easily eat a 6" bait.
They are not too big, if you are after big fish and you are using a large bait. You might want to order some smaller sizes also, just in case you want to use some more moderate size baits. It mostly depends on the size of your bait because even a 15-pound flathead can easily eat a 6" bait.
Ill be using mostly like 4" live bluegill
Reactions: 3
You might be better off using a 5/0 hook double hook rig for a 4" bluegill. You could also use one 7/0 hook up front and a 5/0 hook on the back. There is no limit to how you can mix and match this rig for different sizes of bait.
Reactions: 3
I like big hooks 8-0 smallest I use with cut bait 10-0 for live
I keep getting fish to run with the bait then drop it after a couple seconds. Should i set the hook quicker or wait till the fish really takes it? I use baitrunner reels with sinker slides
I’m betting these are channel cats. I’ve caught 5# Flatheads on 10” bullheads and they didn’t mess around running and dropping. If you’re not getting into flatheads it may be time to consider changing your location. I also agree with the fellas saying to use a bigger hook if you’re looking for big flatheads. I use 8/0 and 10/0 most but realistically hook size probably ain’t the reasons for the drops. I’d guess it’s more mouth size. 😉
1 - 20 of 37 Posts