Could this be a carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by nathan8372, Oct 19, 2006.

1. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    hey guys, I have been fishing on the Nueces River in South Texas for about 10 years now and have caught several carp in my time there. I was wondering if anybody recognizes this fish, could it be a carp? It measured 31 inches and jumped around the boat for about 20 minutes till I unloaded it at the dock.

He was caught on a trot line baited with live goldfish.

Attached Files:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I can't really tell from the picture but it sorta looks like what we have here in the Missouri river in Iowa and we call them Big mouth carp and they are planton eaters,although I have never cought one it might also be a be a Grass carp! I Bet we have some Folks here that Know excatly what you have there. What do You Think Guys Help us Out. J.D.

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats a grass carp.they are fun to catch.i usually catch them on a ultra light rod with small hooks and corn in a local pond.

4. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    from the scales looks like a carp

5. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Nathon welcome to the B.O.C.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Looks like a grass carp. Never heard of one caught on a fish. They eat vegetation. We shoot them in lakes.

7. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Thank you guys for the replies, I knew it was some sort of carp I just didnt know for sure.

I found this board on a yahoo search and everyone here seemed to be real friendly, I am glad to have joined the board!

~Nathan

8. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site. I belive that is a carp and a nice carp too!

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the web

10. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Welcome aboard Nathan, Looks like a Grass Carp ta me, I caught one once on a black-n-blue jig, while fishin fer Bass. Fighting critters they is......... Big and long silver sucker....

11. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    A grass carp for sure, but amazing you caught it on a live goldfish !!!!
    They are vegetarians !!! Common carp take livebaits, and lures, but 1st time I've ever heard of a grassie being taken that way. Nice fish too ... @31" would weigh in the region of 15-20lb (at a guess)
    You have to be careful at taking grass carp though, as they are an introduced species, and used solely for weed control. A single 10-12" fish costs $12-$15 and a fisheries department may get rather pissed if they know they are being taken out. Usually a permit is required before you can even buy them to stock. They are Triploids (can't breed) so when they go in they just eat and put on poundage. Here in Florida they can attain a weight of 60-70lb in favoured waters. Your grassie may have been put into the water by the fisheries department, but usually when they are found in rivers they have "escaped" from somewhere else.
    Great catch though .... congrats ... :smile2:
    My grass carp season is just about to start. Took one at 42" (34lb 4oz) last year, so aiming for a 40 this year !!!

12. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    you got yourself a grass carp there

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC nathan

14. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome man , What J.D. could be right , can't see the head real well .

15. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    ...thanks for all the 'welcomes' guys I really am glad to be here. The head of this fish had eyes and a sucker mouth like a carp with two tiny whiskers around his lips...hope this helps. Thanks guys!

~Nathan

16. firefighteremtb78

firefighteremtb78 New Member

State:
    IL
    from the back it looks like my grass carp only alot smaller...mine was 65 pounds go check it out in the "well i went fishing today" post

17. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Well, everybody beat me to it, but yes you do have a grass carp there, and welcome to the BOC Nathan!!!!

18. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree w/ the consensus....grass carp...never caught one...had a lot of huge ones in this pond i used to fish...always wish i could've caught one...get a weight on him or just the measurements?

19. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Grass carp for sure!! Great thrill on an old Zebco 33.... My first fish at the age of 4 was a grass carp... :eek:oooh:

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Nathan welcome, its a carp like I used to catch with corn flakes & spinach doughball. In the shallows of the Ohio it's still great sport for guys to bow fish them from flatbottoms. Never done it but I get a kick out of watching them. And a way for them to hone their skills all year. A lot of folks eat them, but there is something trickey about cleaning them, something called a "mud vein" has to be done right.....the Ohio here is so polluted can't eat anything you catch.