Could the Tigers win the AL Central?

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by DLB-in-GR, Jun 12, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I must be nuts. Who drives 4 hours then sits through a 3 hour rain delay but a true baseball fan (US Cellular Field, Chicago, June 11, 2009)? I love my Tigers, hope to see them do well. It was a great game even with the Tigers loss, and at least they took the series from ChiSox in Chicago, that never happens. Look out for those Twins though by the season's end.

Attached Files:

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    If anyone had asked me at the beginning of the season about the Tigers, I would have given their chances of winning to be low, maybe they'd be a .500 ball team this year. If someone offered me a 2 1/2 game lead over the Twins and a 5 1/2 game lead over the White Sox (as I am writing this) during the middle of June, I would have been ecstatic. The Tigers did not play well against the Pirates or the Cardinals, but I wouldn't put a sheet over the first place team in the Central just yet... Are they down? No way. Are they out? No, they are in 1st place!

I get to see them play the Cubbies at Comerica Thursday in the heat. I can't wait!

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Another game, another win, Tigers 6, Cubs 5. First win for Galarraga since April, first homer for Magglio Ordonez since his haircut. My friends who came along who were wearing Cubs colors were not as happy, but we all had fun anyway. It was 93 degrees in the D, felt like 100 in the stands, with humidity. I am very surprised at the sweep, the Cubs and Tigers seemed to be evenly matched by the way they played. Seven straight wins by the Tigers, longest win streak for them for the year, keep up the good work. They had better look out for those Twins though, only 5 games back, with a lot of baseball left to be played.

Attached Files:

4. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    i Want to see the royals Stop playing like a bunch of girl :angry: if royals choke Tigers are my back up team for AL teams goes :wink:

5. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I got as wet today as when I fell in the river! Did it ever rain. The Tigers vs the Mariners at the Copa in Detroit, best game I have ever seen in person. I had 2nd row tickets right behind Brandon Inge at 3rd base. No stick figures on the field from the upper deck today, we saw all the action right up close. It's amazing that the Tigers are still in the lead in the Central, I never would have thought. Best team in the worst division, but it sure is fun. Here are 2 highlight pics.

Attached Files:

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The Tigers "magic number" yesterday was 22. That's a total of the wins Detroit has to get plus the losses by the Twins. Today, with the Tigers unbelievable sweep of the Rays thanks to the spectacular plays and Grand Slam by Brandon Inge, and the Twins loss, the magic number is down to 20. I don't count out the Twins at all, they get hot at the end, but Detroit is playing its best ball of the season and have a 7 game lead in the Central. I'm beginning to believe, the Tigers could actually win the Division.

I don't believe in all the jinx talk about messing up a no-hitter by saying the words before it happens, and this is not too far out to talk about magic numbers. Either they are going to win or not, whether I talk about numbers or not. But its starting to look like the Tigers would need to nose-dive accompanied by a win streak from the Twins (or ChiSox) to reverse their positions in the standings. It is starting to look good on paper.

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The AL Central Division race will be decided today (Tuesday). Following Monday night's rainout in Detroit there will be a double-header against the Twins, and this is what I see. With the magic number still at 6, IF the Tigers can split the double header and win one more game against the Twins in this 4 game series, AND win 1 of 3 against the ChiSox this weekend at home, plus Zach Greinke of the Royals takes care of the Twins in the Metrodome Saturday, the Tigers win the Division. Or, the Twins use their Dome to limbo under the bar yet again. This is the final exam, 40% of the grade in the college course, so the Tigers had better step up. This is play-off baseball in D-town, everything I could have hoped for.

Which ever team from the Central wins, they are meat for the Yankees to chew up and spit out in the ALDS anyway, but I will always route for my Tigers to WIN, repeat 2006 and beat the Yankees in the ALDS (without Kenny Rogers and pine tar on his hand this time)!

My father moved a cabinet of drawers in the house I grew up in today to install a dishwasher and found under it my laminated place-mat from Elias Bros. restaurant from 1984 celebrating the Tigers '84 World Series victory. On the back is a list of the rosters from the '68 and '84 teams, complete with player stats for the respective seasons. Here's hoping that this is a good omen for things to come.

Attached Files:

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Go Tigers! is tiger stadium still standing down there? I wish they woulda done a remodel, but the new park is pretty nice i guess. How about them Wolverines!!! big-10 champs?? Big game this weekend......Go Blue, beat state......!!!!

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Nope, they just knocked the last of it down. Some preservationists lead by Ernie Harwell were trying to keep a wall or corner but it got rejected.

Comerica Park is a great ballpark to visit (food isn't really special though, like some of the parks out East I have seen profiled on TV). I've only been to a couple of them besides (Progressive in Cleveland and US Cellular in Chicago), but always get to Comerica a couple of times a summer. US Cellular (ChiSox park) was a rowdy bunch of fans that heckled visiting Tigers fans, I've never seen that at Comerica against rival fans. Hey, our money is green too, they should be happy fans of the away team are spending it there.

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    It's up to your Royals now. They almost pulled it off today, but not quite, not enough to help my Tigers. Tomorrow is the last day, the day that determines the entire season in the AL Central. A Tigers win with a Twins loss to KC would win the Central for the first time ever for the Tigers, on the very last day of the season. I predict the other way around will happen. Tigers lose vs ChiSox (Tigers are so terrible right now), Twins win vs Royals (sorry, but I don't see the Royals beating them in the Dome), and the season is over.

I am not really disheartened. My team contended, and what more can you ask for? A W.S. win? That'd be nice, but I called this outcome back in June. I said, watch out for the Twins.

Maybe we shall have a game 163? I can only hope.

11. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just went through all your post on this thread. Really nice how you provided good insight with pictures of the event you were at. Good thread man.

P.S. Im in Cardinal country here though.

12. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The Cardinals are my pick for the WS win. I want Angels vs Cardinals with Cardinals to win.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    looks like we'll find out today or tomorrow! im watchin the tigers right now.
    but all i got to say is GO CARDS

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    a team generally needs to have an actual chance to make it to the postseason before they can be considered for a "choke"
    dont see the royals doin that anytime in the next few years at least.

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm hopin the Tigers get through, I'm lookin for a Cardinals/Tigers series, ending up in another championship for Tony and the Cards.

16. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    AL Central Tie-breaker is set for Tuesday, 5pm EST, at the Metrodome. Rick Porcello for the Tigers vs Scott Baker for the Twins. Winner takes all, loser goes home. Game 163, here we come! Go Tigers!

17. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Why wait to CELEBRATE?
    If Miguel Cabrera hadn't been partying on Saturday morning, maybe the Tigers would have celebrated with champagne one day later.
    Cabrera was intoxicated when he arrived at his Birmingham, Mich., home at 6 a.m. Saturday, according to Birmingham Police statements to the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press. Soon afterward, police responded to a call from his wife, Rosangel, saying that the two were involved in a physical altercation.
    Tigers New Champs of the AAA DIVISION.

18. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Yeah, I saw that on the news tonight. It's disappointing, but I don't know what to think about it. They haven't said he won't be playing Tuesday, but they fired Dmitri Young for problems like this a couple of years ago. They'd be crazy to fire Miguel, maybe he's human and as such, not perfect. It was a despicable thing to do though. Neither he nor his wife were charged with anything because they were beating on each other! Not good timing on Cabrera's part for an all night bender, and never a good time to lay a hand on his wife.

19. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    That is to bad for loyal fans like you Doug. I'm GLAD they are not YANKEES. Good luck anyway. I'm a YANKEE fan, and I don't care who we play. Win or lose this is the BEST YANKEE team I see in a few years. It's been a GREAT season for us. Just hope we can go ALL the way.

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I just wish they would hurry up and play already so I know who my beloved yankees are going to play:confused2: