Could REALLY use some ideas here

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jconna, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm going to the Lower James for a 5-day fishing trip in 3 weeks. That’s the good…… Bad is I just broke a bone in my left hand and they have me wrapped up all the way past my forearm. I could really use some ideas on how to rig something up so that I can still hookset and torque with that left arm.

I plan on picking up one of those deep sea fishing belts with a cup to support the bottom of the pole but I’m still not there yet…. Need some method of attaching something to my forearm, wrist, or anywhere really that will take the pressure off of my hand and fingers, but still give me power and directional control with my left arm. Then it somehow needs to be able to attach or hook onto the rod when needed.

I’m throwing around an idea or two myself but very preliminary at this point. Would definitely welcome some opinions....Any inventors out there?

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Far as hookset change over to circles. Could you change hands? reel with your broken hand? Will most likely be ackward, but it will take the pressure off your broken hand. Even with a baitcaster you can reel backwards. if your using spinning can you change the handle to the other side?

Just trying to see what you got to work with, without having to get too creative on what your trying to rig up.

3. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Understood and appreciate the questions....Good starting point and thoughts, but let’s consider my left hand useless. As for the hooks….I’ve only ever used circles once and that was with a guide on the James. Funny thing is he still had us try and break their neck once the tip held tight. They’ll take some experimenting with but the circles very well may be my best option for this trip. Thanks

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Far as circle, I've been using the 10/0 wide gap circles for the blues. No problem hooking up half or even whole shad. Far as hook set shouldn't really need to. I usually only give a small tug to make sure it's set when they take off.

Far as a brace type deal to hold the rod. I could see a shoulder strap and a quick disconnect chain link working to hook up to the rod up around the first guide. That would take the majority of the weight off your broken hand, only having to use it as a guide for control. using the cup for the butt of the rod. I think this will still be limited but might serve the purpose.

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Take a look at Kentucky Afield,guy on there uses one arm,might give you some ideals.I second the circle hook ideal, with the reel down method works great for me.Hope this helps.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Stay home and let me take your spot on the James! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: Jeff that's a tough break messing up your left hand before a trip to the James River. I really don't know what to suggest other than that fighting belt sounds like a good idea! Good luck and let us know how you do! :cool2:

7. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    two words DUCT TAPE.

8. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    LOL....Good call....Duct Tape works for everything :haha:

Thanks Scott....Sights are set on a 40# this year :wink:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Use circle hooks, keep the rod in the rod holder, let a looser drag, and winch away.

10. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks Blacky....May well end up being my final option. Just takes a little away from hauling a nice one in you know? Would guess it will make life a little harder on my buddies with 8 or 9 rods off the front also. Guess we'll see...Still have three weeks....Thanks

11. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a dremel tool you could use to cut that cast off the day before you leave :wink:

12. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Thats interesting Jeff my wife lost here hand in a house fire and she cats with me all the time.

13. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Best idea I've heard yet :wink:

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i had a cast on my arm when i was younger. you just need two straps and attach some velcro to it. make sure straps go around cast and pole before attaching velcro to it. make sure to use a good bit of velcro so you can sinch it down good. if i remember right we used two old cloth belts and cut them in half. you can either leave them on and just open them up and add pole then sinch down when you go to set hook or fight fish.

15. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Drill a whole in the cast between the thumb and first finger, insert reel handle in there, Double up on the Percocet and fish like normal. :roll_eyes: :tounge_out: :eek:oooh:

16. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Oh wait, the cast is on the left hand. See what those Percocet will do for ya? :smile2: Ok, go with the duct tape but I still recomend doubleing up the perc's . . . . :wink:

17. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    :smile2:.....Not much on prescription, but if I can smoke or drink it, doubling up doesn't sound like such a bad idea :wink:

18. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts / ideas. Will let you know how things go....Thanks again

19. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    I don't remember who made it but there is a device out there that attaches around your neck.

Cast the rod with your cast-free hand and then set it down in a rod holder. When you get a runner on you reach down with the straps that are attached around your neck hook them onto your rod and then make the hook set. While your reeling in the fish, the rig supports the rod an appropriate position during reeling that doesn't interfere with any position that you take stance into.

The device favored some of the professional style binocular holders where your shoulders are slipped into them and the main support is positioned in the center of your back allowing your neck to be free from the weight.

The device was universal and could be used by either arm and the straps offered total adjustment for most body sizes. If I run across the name I will send you the link.

Good Luck!

20. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    If it ain't to cold you could always use your feet! :wink: