Could it be?? Tony Eury Jr. getting cut from Hendrick

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by DCcatfisher, May 27, 2009.

1. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    All the local news stations here in central NC, better known as the heart of nascar country and including the self proclaimed "Race City USA" (Mooresville, NC), are reporting that Tony Eury Jr. could be out as Dale Jr's. crew chief as early as next week at Dover. They are saying that Rick Hendrick has not given Eury Jr. a very good outlook for staying at Hendrick Motorsports.

Here's the report from Nascar:
    http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/hea...re.ap/index.html?eref=/rss/news/headlines/cup

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I think pretty much everyone has been waiting for that to happen since Dale hasn't produced at Hendrick.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dale wasnt no better the last time the broke up. matter of fact the nascar media played it as Dale lost his mojo when they had there little spat a few years ago. maybe Dale needs the change, I think he probably slipped into a comfort zone thats held him back a little. This will really throw him a curve ball. wonder how Jr feels about it?

4. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Changing the CC wont help a driver that acts like he doesn't care anymore. All the mistakes that have been made look to me like Jr's mind just isnt in the game anymore.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It would be hard for my mind to be in it if I could'nt get a car that would run or handle worth a crap. Did you see the in car shots of Jr. fighting to keep his car under control last weekend? I think if you had put Jeff or JJ in that car, they would have had the same problems. I think Jr. is the one who wants to get rid of Tony Eury Jr. and I hope he does.

6. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    I'm not sayin' that nothing is going to change or its all his fault. I'm just offering another view of the problem. To many people seem to want to blame Eury right away without ever considering the problem may be in the drivers seat.

Even a bad handling car doesn't cause lack of communication, and just flat out dumb mistakes on a regular basis.

I just hope they get the problem figured out one way or another. Good or bad, I'm sick of hearing about Jr. :wink:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree Paul.:wink:
    Change CC and if there is still problems then look at the driver. Look at JR's past, he has talent and can drive. Its since the COT came out that he's went downhill. Tony JR is an old school mechanic and he doesn't know how to adjust the COT. I guess we'll see what happens at Dover, I'm willing to bet Tony JR isn't CC there.

8. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    If you saw Jr. at Talladega, where he finished in 2nd, you would know the problem is not in the drivers seat. Granted, he has made a lot of mistakes lately, but I think that is at least in part because he gets so frustrated that he can't get a car that runs right. Of course the people that don't like Jr. are going to bash him every chance they get, wether it's Jr.'s fault or not.

Funny thing is, even though he is not doing good, Jr. is still by far the most popular driver in Nascar. :wink:

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think Jr. is as good as any driver out there he just can't seem to set his car up right. Maybe it's his fault maybe it ain't. There seems to be some problems between him and the cc that just don't add up and they are not communicating well.
    The jr. crew should just let Gordon set his car up that way they can see what it feels like to be in a car that handles well.:eek:oooh:

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    LOL, I bet that would work. Only problem is, if Jr. wins it will be because of Gordon. That will never work. :big_smile:

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why not, it was Gordon and company in the beginning that got Jimmie and Chad on the pace that they are on today.

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    to many of yall think jr. can drive lilke his dad. he is a good driver, far from great like his dad and jeff gordon and jimmy johnson. when he gets a good car he can drive. maybe he should take lessons from mark martin. he seems to think his hendrick car is good and when he does something wrong he tells everyone it is his fault and tells his crew he is sorry. jr. is a good ol country boy and they have him doing way to many commercials instead of worrying about his race car.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Bobby while thats true he cant drive like his Dad no one can, if they did they would be in the trailer after the race every race. There was a part of the sport that died with him and that was the intimidator factor IMO. It aint rubben is racen anymore its too gentlemanly LOL.

14. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tony Eure, Jr. is out, news at 6 PM.

15. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here is the latest on the Dale,Jr crew chief situtation.

New crew chief for Dale Jr.: Hendrick Motorsports today named Lance McGrew as interim crew chief of the #88 Sprint Cup Series team of driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. beginning with the June 7 event at Pocono Raceway. Team manager Brian Whitesell will lead the team this weekend at Dover. "Our performance hasn't been where it should be," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "It's impossible to pin that on any one factor, but a change is the right decision at this point. We have a plan in place, and we're going to move forward with it." Whitesell and Rex Stump, Hendrick Motorsports' lead chassis engineer, have been assigned to support McGrew on a full-time basis. Whitesell, who won two of seven races as Jeff Gordon's interim crew chief in 1999, will join McGrew and team engineer Tom Stewart on the #88 pit box to assist with race strategy. "We're going to put our full resources toward improving the situation and winning races," Hendrick said. "It's going to be a collective effort that includes all of our drivers, all of our crew chiefs and all of our engineers. Everyone in our company will be involved on some level." Tony Eury Jr. will move from the crew chief position into a key role with Hendrick Motorsports' research and development group. Eury posted one victory, one pole position, 19 top-10 finishes and 11 top-fives in 48 races with the #88 team. "I have mixed feelings, and that's just natural," Eury said. "But I enjoy working at Hendrick Motorsports, and this is where I want to be. I'll do whatever I can to help all of our teams and try to be a part of another championship. I think a new challenge will be good." McGrew, 41, earned the 2003 Nationwide Series championship with driver Brian Vickers. He won the October 2006 Sprint Cup race with Vickers at Talladega, and most recently led Cup rookie #25-Brad Keselowski to a seventh-place finish May 9 at Darlington. As a crew chief, McGrew has posted victories in all three of NASCAR's major touring series: Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck. He has won races with drivers Vickers, Jeff Gordon, Ricky Hendrick, Kyle Busch, Mark Martin and most recently Tony Stewart Feb. 14 at Daytona Beach.(HMS)(5-28-2009) Comment here

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    need to cut jr. obviously dont drive hendricks cars well or something. a name only caries someone so far. he needs to improve or he'll be out.

i agree on the commercial thing too. they have worried so much about plastering his face on everything from tampons to cookie dough.

one good thing for jr fans. you can pick up tons of his merchandice in the wal-mart clearence isle.:big_smile:

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'll bet Hendricks wishes they had Darian Grubb to put on the 88.I said way back when the deal went down that Hendricks had made a mistake cutting Kyle for Jr.I think Mr Hendricks was blinded by the hype etc.Jr can drive some no question just not enough.It would be interesting to see if they shifted all the Hendricks drivers one to the right for one race.My bet would be Mark Martin would do well because he is happy to have a fast car period.What Jr needs is an ass kicking CC like Chad that when Jimmie whines he says "right well fix it when you come in in the meantime drive it faster than the other guys".:smile2::big_smile:I agree that Jr needs to decide whether he want to be a race car driver or celebrity.Tony and Ryan seem to being doing ok with those Hendricks cars and didnt Brad Keso--------i win a race in one????LOL:smile2:Maybe all they need to do with the 88 is let Eury drive and Jr CC!!!!:crazy:In his defense Jr is never going to live up to the expectations,they are just to big.On the other hand I dont see him ever winning a championship if he continues as he is now.:sad2:

18. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I believe Jr is just an average race car driver, but having a crewchief thats not his buddy might be what he needs, maybe he'll do less complaining on the radio, and concentrate on driving the car. He needs to listen to the advice given by Gordon, Martin, and Johnson these guys could help him a lot. Even though he's an average driver it doesn't mean he can't win a title, hell Terry Labonte won 2 and he's nothing special.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea, but you don't can a driver under a multi year year multi million dollar contract. You got too many around that driver to change from pit crew, to engineers, to yes, the crew chief.

Eury is old school. Learned from his dad and grand pap the old way.
    It's not working in the new way olain and simple.
    Then there is the family aspect. Family and business don't mix in most cases.

I doubt Hendricks wanted Eury to begin with but agreed to take him with provisions just to pacify Jr. Eury isn't the typical Hendrick's type.