could I fish with goldfish in ohio lakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by varmint_sniper, Apr 1, 2009.

1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I called ohio divison of wildlife in columbus 2 weeks ago and asked if i could use goldfish in ohio lakes for bait they said yes talked to a game warden in harrison co. last week and he said if he caught me he would write me a ticket on the spot now why dose ohio divison of wildlife in columbus say ok go ahead and a co. game warden wanna wright me a ticket? i get my goldfish outta a friends stocked goldfish pond and they sell them at all the bait stores in the area i fish dose this make sence to yall?

2. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know some guys are emailing ODNR, and then printing the email to show the warden if there's any question... dunno if it'll change his mind about a ticket, but it should give him something to think about...

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why? Because some don't know their ass from their elbow. Thats why so many of their laws are interpreted in different ways. rollo

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Because they get you any way you can. They give you a ticket for soemthing that isn't illegal and they don't get in any trouble at all. You on the other hand have to pay it or most likely take off of work and lose more money than the ticket costs to try to prove you didn't break any laws. All the cards are stacked in their favor on this one you really can't win.

5. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    JerryB think ill call them again tomorrow and see if they can send me a print out saying its legal and if not ill send an e mail and see what happens thax

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thats crazy. and they wonder why people get upset.

7. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    WHY NOT GIVE HIS NAME TO THE ODNR ASK IF HE'S RIGHT AND IF THEY SAY NO ASK THEM TO SEND A LETTER TO HIM SAYING HE MISSED INFORMED AND DO WRITE ANYONE A TICKET.UNLESS HE WOULD LIKE TO FIND HIS DUMB ARES IN FRONT OF A JUDGE.:eek:oooh:

8. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio

I like Moose's idea! Just my 2 cents.

9. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    the the answer to my question i was looking for took me 2hrs though to get it after 1800 wildlife not knowing anythin they transfered me to dist .1 in columbus then dist.3 i think then i got forwared to Neil lynskey him self in harrison he said and i quote goldfish are legal in ohio lakes and rivers as long as you dont dump ur unsued bait into ohio lakes and rivers just thought id let yall know what i found out

10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
  11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I just sent an email to my contact at ODNR. I will post his answer when I receive it.

12. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've never had good luck with emailing the DNR. I emailed them once asking if it was legal to spear carp and was told no. I emailed them a week later and the answer was yes????:confused2:

13. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are goldfish even classified as exotic? I was going throught he revised code and it called them "forage fish"

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-13

(8) Sheepshead in the lake Erie fishing district only, carp, quillback, suckers, bowfin, gar, buffalo, gizzard shad, and goldfish throughout the state are hereby designated as “forage fish” and may be taken by any method except as expressly prohibited in paragraphs (A)(1) and (A)(2) of this rule.

14. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well neocats I don't know if you got your reply but I got one and am interested in what they tell you. The person that replied to my question stated:

"Hartman, Marianne" <Marianne.Hartman@dnr.state.oh.us>

Mr. Rowland:

Section 1501:31-13-04(D) of the Ohio Administrative code states: It shall be unlawful for any person to sell as bait fish, or use as bait any fish or minnow not already established in waters of Ohio over which the wildlife chief has control.
    Since goldfish are established in all waters of the state, it would be legal to use goldfish as bait statewide.

- Wildinfo Law

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Will, maybe someone has the email I received last summer from one of the head people in Columbus DOW office where he explained everything in great detail .... he had even checked with the other sections as to how the law was to be understood by the men in the field ... It was posted on here .... Garry-

16. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sounds to me like you have a jack-a&& for a game warden, and he was probably just showing off by flexing his muscles a little bit.

:confused2::confused2::confused2:

17. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    ....YES....:wink:

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

This is taken right out of your General laws booklet, (given away for free) when you buy your liscense. If you can't show this to the Officer accosting you and get him to back off, nothing will. He's just an A-hole.

Or maybe you should just give up using goldfish for bait, and start using bass,crappie, walleye and muskies.

Muskie make a great bait, fight hard on a hook all night.

19. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been thinkin of using live baby sturgeon,peacock bass and piranna but I can't seem to locate enough to keep my live well stocked:sad2:

20. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Like s_man said he just might be an A hole . One thing to remember if you ran into him at your favorite fishing spot it could be that's his area to patrol. I would do everything I could to avoid being hassled every time I went out for some fun on the water. With all the other bait possibilities it just doesn't seem worth the hassle.