Could be my last 2008 shad /cat/stripe trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Worked like a maniac all day straightening a mess out at work. I wasn't fishing today but when I walked out side at 4:15, what the heck. Can't catch'em in the front yard. Hooked up and headed to Ancarrow. That place is amazing. It sits in the shadow of downtown Richmond. This time of year every knucklehead and his brother is down there along with half the hispanic population of VA and yet you see neat stuff. Last week as I was leaving around 10:00 PM, I saw a coyote run from the waste water treatment plant towards the river. Today a Wild Turkey flew from the same place and almost got hit by my windshield. Anyway, the ramp was its usual zoo self and but I was alble to launch quickly by myself. I ran up and anchored in my new favorite spot. Two guys fishing out of a Sea Pro that I saw yesterday said the bite wasn't near as good. They were right. I fished a good hour to catch half a dozen shad and another half dozen herring. Baited up the big rods and Mr Stripe came to visit. 36 inches. I wish it was May 2 because that ole gal would be sitting on my grill as I type this. Lawabider that I am, quick picture and release. This warm water near 68 today is hard on the stripers. Every fish I have caught this week, I have had to rock back and forth a few minutes before they are strong enough to swim off on their own. Had two more good big fish bites that didn't get stuck and steady caught small cats on the little rods until I left at 9:00. I swear I'm not going tomorrow maybe.

Attached Files:

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like your fishing is good.Finally caught a zillion herring for cut bait, I hope to go back downtown tonight and try to catch some catfish....or a catfish. Looks like today is the day, may rain tomorrow and mess the river all up.
    later

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Glad to hear you caught some shad and herring sorry it was a bad day of fishng I wouldnt give up, I mean the fishing might be slow but as we all know that can change in a days time ive been fishing before have no luck and have to fight with my self to get me to go again the next day, and when I went I had more luck than what I did the day before hang in there and im sure you will start catchng you some nice fish.

4. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Kenneth,,,Must be a hard decision.........
    Ahh,, To fish or Not to fish:big_smile:

Wish you a safe journey and a safe return,,atleast its not the best fishing time to be gone..

mikeb

5. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Keneth was right me and my knucklehead brother were down on the river all day Friday.

Started out catching bait. And by the time the sun peeked over the trees the river was full of boats. As I eased back from 14th street to head down river I told my brother that this place reminds me of the seen in Jaws where all the fisherman were in a frenzy trying to catch the shark. People linning the sides of the river, boats so thick I dont have a cool enough saying to describe.

We headed down river around around 8am and when we stoped at the 895 bridge and set up I felt I could relax. So much nicer than up river. Within a couple of hours we had several in the boat up to 21lbs.

Pretty good day for me. Ever since I got my boat it's been a couple of fish kinda days. By the end of the trip Friday we had boated nearly 20 fish average 5-8 lbs but lots of fun. Multiple rods taking off at the same time. No wind. Sunny and 80. Life is good.:smile2:

6. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Glad you could go. I decided not to fish Saturday. I am getting down to the wire on leaving for almost two months and the plate is pretty full. Please keep up the reports even if its nothing but West Point Croakers.

7. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Gail and I were on the River Friday and Saturday both! Caught PLENTY of Herring for cut bait and fished a few live! Only one shad caught between both days and only two cats Gail landed a 6lb blue and I landed a 16lb flathead! All things considered a great weekend of fishing! Would have liked to of had more luck with the shad and of course the big cats but we had a lot of fun! And yes there were a LOT of boats on the River Friday and Saturday both!

8. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never too late, never too much, never say never. LAST my a**, go fish relax and do not worry about tommorow. That's what THEY said about us. Go fish, go have fun, go remember, if you quit fishing, you quit telling,,you quit teaching, you will forget the thrill, the mwmories, what else is to say. Fish, Relax, Be at ease.

9. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    be safe while away kenneth. i have really enjoyed your fishing post and hope to meet you someday.

10. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    I'll miss you guys up here. Its something I do every year since 2000 when I started my hunting lodge. Low paying labor of love I wouldn't trade for all the tea in China. I am blessed with great customers and the best shooting in the world. Taken from Uncle Remus, As ole Ber Rabbit said. "Please don't throw me in that Briar Patch":wink:

11. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    what kind of hunting lodge do you have kenneth?

12. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    In Paraguay, we shoot Doves and pigeons in peanut fields. Its no limit, high volume shooting. Guests shoot one to two cases per day. We also have 6 species of quail and grouse type birds that behave beautifully for a bird dog,(my favorite). I worked with the wildlife minestry to get this season established. I recommended and they accepted a limit of 10 perdiz,(quail) and 4 martineta,)Grouse) per day. I am the "warden" and enforce those limits. You want to shoot alot, shoot doves and pigeons, want a quality upland hunt, hunt martineta and perdiz.

We have plenty of deer and three specie of javelina, pumas, jaguars, tapirs, and other interesting animals, but they are just for watching. I occasionally shoot a deer or javelina for camp meat for my Indians.

13. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    sounds like a good place. bird hunting here in va has gotten better but most go down to texas for the good bird hunting. i am hooked on them long bearded timber chickens. :wink: