Could be a new world record flathead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mudkat, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i was down at my moms friends lake her name is judy and her son brett live down there.we set a trot line acrost this big sandpit on a sturday and filled it with blugill.we went inside and went to sleep. he woke up before i did and he looked out the window and seen the line bouncin so he ran out and woke me up.we took a pontoon boat out there and pulled up the line as i began to suface this monster he broke 40 lb braded spider wire?!?!?!he was no lie about six feet long.im not jokeing and were the only two people who fish down there .thats were i caught the flathead on my picture at.and its a pretty big lake(sandpit) and bretts in jail right now so im hopeing to catch that bigg monster any comments or questions? or even tips when fishing for it and other cats?

2. Nooga

Nooga New Member

State:
    Chattanooga,Tennessee
    Wow! Great catch!

3. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    If You Ever Catch The Beast, Don't Forget To Take A Picture Of It And Have It Weighed. I Would Stay There For As Long As I Could If I Were You, Just To Get A Chance To Get A Hold Of Him. Good Luck!

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Ok, first tip! Where at exactly in Nebraska are you, and where is this place you're fishing................ok, just kidding! :p

Good luck catching that monster. I would be trying to catch that big ol flattie every possible second I could.

SudDawg

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    if you want to claim it as a record catch it on a rod and reel as fish caught by other means are recorded different or not at all in some states.

6. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I would suggest you figure out a way to keep Brett in jail longer to give you more time at catching that big monster.
    Tight lines to you.
    John

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you are on to something! I hope you let it go after you get pictures!!
    People usually don't they get that big but I'm here to tell you they do. My state record is only about 79 # but I saw one while SCUBA diving in The New River a couple years ago and laid down near it to size it. I'm 6'3" and the cat was as long as I am. Hugh Blue!!!

P.S. Did you guys see on the internet a few days ago where one in Germany ate a Dashound?

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK ON CATCHING THAT MONSTER. FRIST OF ALL I'D SAY YOU NEED HEAVIER LINE. A WHOLE LOT HEAVIER. BEST OF LUCK CATCHING AND HOPEFULLY RELEASING ATER PICTURES. HAVE FUN.

9. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    If i remember correctly Nebraska doesn't recognize records caught on setlines/trotlines. The Iowa state record blue was caught on the Nebraska side of the river near Bellevue, but since Nebraska wouldn't accept it since it was a on trotline he turned it into Iowa.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland

New River is a hidden gem as far as flatties is concerned... had i known last time i was down there that there were flats rather then channels down in there i probably would have atleast gotten one or 2 (got skunked on channels)...

And im not sure how much of this is rumor or not but the catfish apparently got its name because one swirled on a cat that had fallen in the river. It was called the Cat eating Fish which got shortened to just catfish over the years... i'll try and find the reference i had that said that and post again if i can...

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Hey Mazdabob, I remember hearing about that Blue Cat back in 2004. It was like 101 lbs. I believe. And you are correct, Nebraska only recognizes rod/real and bowfishing records. That Blue Catfish had the Nebraska record by about a pound.

SudDawg