Cougar sightings in the eastern U.S.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by copycat, Jun 9, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    There are alot of cougar sightings the past few years in PA. A couple in Delaware and now another last week in Southern New Jersey. Do you think they are re-populating in the east? Has anyone heard of any cougar sightings?

2. Definitely, I have seen two different lions here in AL. I also know several others who have. One fellow has game camera photos of one.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    We have had them here in MD for years and they are starting to be more and more sightings around here. Also the bears are realy starting to pop out here this year. We have some fire ponds here that i have put bluegills in for years. i go and take some out from time to time for cut bait. Most people dont even know they are there and have fish in them. I have been seeing more bear then ever before and we cant hunt them here.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    How bout bigfoots, seen any John?:big_smile:LMAO

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I was riding with a friend several years ago here in Tennessee and we saw one sitting on the side of the road. When it saw us, it ran across the road right in front of us.

My stepson bought one several years ago and kept it for a few weeks before selling it to someone else. It was tame enough that it would tolerate being touched by humans, but it still didn't look too friendly to me.

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    There have been consistent reports here in Arkansas of cougar sitings for years, some from some pretty reliable type people, but with every report the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission jumps up and down and hollers that there are no mountain lions here. It seems that they (and others) will spend whatever it takes to prove that the Ivory Billed Perkerwood, that has only been seen in one questionable video, is here, but try and do everything in their power to dismiss cougar sitings. Go figure.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    P.A. Game commisson does the exact same thing, i guess they got the same playbook.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    yep the pennsylvania game commission keeps sayin theres none in pa and when one is found then they say it must have been a pet someone illegally released. they just dont want us to know their starting to come home to PA.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw one here in Bedford Co., Va. in 1980 and the VDGIF said the same thing. "Ain't no Cougers here!" So I started a scrap book and in an 8 year period there were 110 reports that I found. On was from a doctor and avid bowhunter who was sitting in a tree at the edge of an apple orchard when one came up and laid down under a tree 20 yards from him and stayed there for almost an hour.
    What I am interested in knowing is wether these are Eastern Cougers which are suposed to be extinct, or Western Cougers that are moving east.

10. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    well i know that they have made a come back from nothing here in missouri.

11. I wonder the same thing, though here in Alabama they could also be the florida subspecies as we are in the historic range of that subspecies. Honestly I think that has something to do with the reason the G&F depts are in full blown denial. Just think of all the paperwork involved with owning up to the fact that there are indeed big cats east of the Mississippi and north of Florida. Not to mention all the lawyers, biologists, feds and treehuggers that would come out of the woodwork.
    Heck the state biologists down here are even reluctant to own up to our resident bears. They are expanding into areas they were once rare. In the past they existed only in the extreme southern portion of the Mobile delta. They have now been sighted as far north as Birmingham (I was lucky enough to have seen one of them). They're getting bolder too. A deer hunter was attacked this year in Mobile county by a bear.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    25 years ago people started reporting sightings of coyotes in P.A. and N.J.
    The game commissions back then said there are no coyotes in these states anymore. Well now coyotes are in remote areas of P.A. & N.J. and have successfully re-populated and wild life management confirms this. Now I think the cougars may be comming back in these areas. Cougars (and all cats) are stealthy hunters, they will stalk prey with precission often at night and sometimes during daylight. It is a scary thought that one may at some point target a child. There have been many cougar attacks on adult hikers, etc in California and other western states (Western cougars, mountain lions) are larger animals then the once abundant eastern cousin. These animals always will hit unknowing prey and go right for the throat of the prey and lock down a crushing bite. They will hold the bite with great force to quickly kill prey.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My theory is a decline in general hunting in these states as compared to 30 years ago. Deer are over populating and I feel the preditors naturally will follow, natures way.

14. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My hunting partner in western IL got a picture of a cougar from his game camera at night. He had it developed and turned it in to DNR. DNR said there wasnt any in IL. My partner doesnt lie and the picture itself is pretty clear. Made a believer out of me.

D

15. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    In the last couple weeks we had a mountain lion sighting at a park nearby our house by a park official. From what the news has said, they are moving to the inner part of the cities for food pruposes, that accompanied with the fact that with all the new housing developments, they have nowhere else to go.

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
  17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    They are in Texas. We got big foot here also. And bears.
    Havent seen those red eyes through my window yet but if I do, I dont play that. LOL.

arlington, good thing you pull the blinds, that always saves the day. I use too stick my head under covers until I farted one time. Now nothing scares me but rats.:big_smile: :big_smile: :embarassed: :smile2:

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Oh come on now, you pull the shades so you won't scare Bigfoot when he sees you in your boxers!:lol:LMAO

19. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I think there is more to it than just a hoax. There are many scientists saying that it is a real possabilty. Here is a place that has sightings from state to state. www.bfro.net

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i have saw two in the last 3 years here in md and i know that years ago DNR turned two pair out here to help with the deer in the state park so yes you may have them up in NJ as well.