Cottonwood River and some feeder creeks

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by OsageCountyCatman, Jun 8, 2006.

1. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Any Emporia/Chase county catmen on board? Wondering what the fishing's like at the lowwater dams at Emporia and Cottonwood Falls?

My brother in law and father in law are bringing in stringers full on Middle Creek NW of Elmdale. They're down there all week fishing and running lines.
    He had to call to let me know they've got one 5 gallon bucket in the chest freezer full of fillets and working on a second.

I'm stuck at work covering for the foreman. :sad2:

2. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Well congrats to them on finding the fish, and I don't want to come off the wrong way, but I sure hope they understand that there is a possession limit of three times the daily creel limit. The creel on channels and blues (single or in combination) is 10 per day per person and on flatheads is 5 per day per person. That's 30 channels and blues (combined) for each person total, and 15 flatheads each person, total, in posession at any time. A five gallon bucket full of filets sound like he is almost, if not already, there.

I wouldn't want to hear about somebody's kid not being able to catch anything from there 10 years from now when it's fished out because of overharvesting.

Just my opinion.

3. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Like alot of ks rivers they are probably under utilized. I haven't fished them much but have caught white bass and drum out of the Cottonwood near Emporia. Would love to have the time to fish those streams/rivers. If you get west of Emporia you'll probably get some water that's more clear than the average ks stream.

4. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    I went down last night to see the action...

There's 7 of them down here fishing, including my nieces. They all had their creel limits by Wednesday out of Middle Creek, then they started fishing the family's privately stocked farm ponds that get very little pressure. No possession limits involved there.

I don't think anyone's ever got to worry about depopulating these creeks of channels. Every time the creeks go out of their banks so do the farm pond dams in the area providing plenty more stock for the creeks.