Cottonwood Falls?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Apr 16, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody ever tried out Cottonwood Falls? There is some sort of cabins/ camp grounds right on the river pretty much on the dam that me and a few friends may try out for a trip to kick off the summer. I've seen pictures of a 40 pound flathead caught by a friend of a friend out of that river... not sure its the same area or not though.

2. If you go please post how you did. I've seen the area your talking about and it looks pretty fishy....

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sure will. The place is supposed to have private fishing by the dam where they say there are channel, blues, and flathead! We've booked a tent site there for the monday and tuesday night after we get out of school. Hopefully I get some good pictures to post.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Me and my friends are going out next Monday through Wednesday. Anybody drove through the town and seen water levels? I have an idea of what to expect when we get there from arial photos... but that isn't a complete picture. I think we may be able to put our canoe on the river at that campsite close to the dam. Anybody notice how fast the current is around that area... would it be safe? How about other places that may have public access around that area? I have lots of questions... just trying to be prepared. If anybody knows anything let me know. Hopefully I'll have pictures to post afterwords, but I will at least let you know how it went. Thanks

5. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    All i know is every river around is going out of it banks. If your not leaving for a few days then you should be ok. I would do some checking with the local game warden and see what they say. Good luck and have a blast.

6. Dido!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, this is going to be a lengthy post so I'll just get the report out of the way first so you don't have to read it all. We caught one 1 lb. flathead above the damn and one 3 lb. channel under the bridge. But we were very limited for reasons I'll get into in a min. I know there are big fish in there and its a great place to go. I'm not sure if the rules allow me to give the name of the place I stayed... but they have a great place right on the damn. We used a tent site but we got tours of the cabins and they were really nice (and cheap)... I guess if you are interested you can PM me and I can tell you the name and the rates we got.
    Now for the story part. Seems to be the the theme of our last two trips, I can't imagine our trips getting any worse then the last two. Two days before the trip we went out to a pond we know of to catch bluegill for bait for our limblines and trot line. We caught about 25 and kept them in the live well and planned to go out the next day to catch 25 more. Some how they all died overnight, so the next day I bought a bunch of distilled water and made sure the aerator was working properly. We ended up catching about that many and they seemed to all die too... so we decided we wouldn't waste these and we made them all into cutbait. Even ground up the leftovers into a "sauce." Also we wanted to get a bunch of minnows from gander mountain to take too but when we got there they were sold out from the weekend. So we called up to Cottonwood falls and sure enough there was 2 or 3 baitshops up there. We knew that it would be more expensive up there but at least we could get bait. Well after getting set up and going to the bait shop at about noon, we decided we would wait until about 6:30 pm to actually buy the bait (since we'd had a problem already keeping stuff alive and it is about the time we wanted to set our lines ). By the way, if you plan to get bait there... they do have a good variety but don't plan on being able to buy a bunch... there was a limit on the numbers and it was expensive in my opinion. While driving to get bait, I hit a huge pot hole and broke the boat. It was a fiberglass or whatever flatback canoe and it was a peice of junk already, but it was really stable and worked well for us. Also it was kind of vital to our success since our rod and reels are set up for eater size but we are kind of on a "quest" for a big one. So the broken boat thing pretty much ruined the trip (and I guess now I'm in the market for a cheap 12' jon boat), but on top of that... we woke up the next day and my buddy had a flat tire! Man that trip was a disaster, all I can do now is laugh about it I guess. I guess our trips can only go uphill from here. Anyway, long story short... horrible horrible trip, but great place... I truely believe that that river holds some nice fish both upstream of the damn or downstream. And actually they said last summer an 80 pound flathead was taken out of the damn in one of the "swirls." Supposedly they have blues too, so it pretty much has it all. I would recomend trying it out... the only thing is boat access might be tough unless you are good at sweet talking farmers :tounge_out:eek:r your boat is light enough to carry under the bridge.

8. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sucks about the trip man. I have fished Cottonwood Falls a few times and have had the best luck on the bottom side of the dam when the water was a little low. A friend of mine pulled in 40lb flat 2 years ago from there. How high was the water?

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    The water was still really high. Apparently there is a walkway or something above the dam in that corner you are talking about... it was totally covered. Water levels were definately on the way down, but the lady who runs the place said a few days before it was coming out of its banks. I imagine that there is a good current below the dam all the time, but the days we were there it was rediculous. We tried to cast into the middle of the "swirl" but it would carry our bait off in the current unless we made a perfect cast. I was using a 5 ounce weight. Becuase of the conditions we had better luck under the 177 bridge where the current wasn't as overwhelming.

10. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The last time I was down there you couldnt even drive in a lot of places around there and Strong City from the water being so high. If you ever make it back up there when the water is low there is a great place to bow fish carp in Strong City.

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, I will make it back some time. I want to get a jon boat first though. Are you familiar with any good places to put a boat on the river? That was another thing we were having a hard time with... we were just going to carry it under the 177 bridge in cottonwood falls. But I'm sure there are other people who put their little jon boats on that river somewhere, I'm just not familiar with the area.

12. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I talked to my friend from that area. He said that they always use a real light aluminum flat bottom boat and you can put in next to almost all of the bridges but the banks are steep. I dont think there are too many concrete ramps though. They put in this past weekend and went 15 miles down river. He said that they killed the channels in the riffles.

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats kind of what I had in mind. Once I start working here in a week and get my paycheck, one of the first things I'm getting is a lightweight jon. I'm definately going back and if I do, I'll post on here so if you want to join you can. It will most likely just be me and my brother, maybe one buddy of mine. I really like that area and its not too far from Wichita. Nice place to camp, and I know there are some good cats on that river. Lots of good looking places for limblines. And once I get a boat my rod and reel fishing won't be limited to the dam area where the water moves really fast.

14. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That would be awesome. Unfortunatly I am stuck in Iraq until fall. Hopefully I will get back and be able to catch some warm weather and get some fishin in. Keep me posted on any fishin that you do though. Its good to hear the stories.

15. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sure thing, and thanks for what you are doing over there... I would say that probably comes from all of us here.

16. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have had many of trip like that but i bet you still had fun. Dido to you Mike thanks alot and tell the the rest of the guys there thanks too.

17. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the kind words guys and please keep up the fishin news. Makes not being there to enjoy it a hell of a lot better.