cottontails! - it's rabbit time again!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Dec 13, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we've had a few good freezes, so it's rabbit time again! we went out and did a day of rabbit hunting, 4 of us shot a little over 70 bunnies with 10 or so jackrabbits thrown in. i was shooting my 870 mag with 2 3/4 #4's and low brass 7 1/2's. next time we go i am going to use the ol .22, the shotgun messes up too much meat. funny how you can shoot the same load at a squirrel or a rabbit and the rabbit will be worse for wear. i guess since they are bigger they catch more pellets. we started out walking fencerows and CRP, then went to some cut corn and milo. we shot up a few old corrals pretty good, and managed some quail and pheasants, with a few collared doves and a mallard drake thrown in there. i keep my shotgun plugged this time of year and was shooting steel 4's, so i can shoot ducks and geese around the tailwater pits. after the sun went down, one of the guys broke out the .17 hmr. i haven't shot one of those, and heard they will flat out destroy small game. well i saw some really long shots pulled off last night and the worst damage i saw was a bunny's shoulders missing where the bullet exploded on impact. other than that, no meat damage as most rabbits shot with it were hit in the head/neck area. pretty impressive round, i might have to get one! here's a pic of the first 23 rabbits we killed. plenty in the freezer now! mmmm, fried rabbit! thanks for reading. oh yeah, before anybody jumps me for it, there's no limit on rabbits in tx, and spotlighting them is legal. and we eat them, so move those fingers back! :wink:

Attached Files:

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thats a bunch of rabbits! Thanks for sharing! :smile2:

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Live trap some of them rabbits and send em up here hope this year is better than last year ________ coyotes:angry: Congrats a fine mess of rabbits ! Rabbit skin is alot thinner than squirrel . Ever try and just PULL the hide off a squirrel :wink: . Now try it with a big old fox squirrel !

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow,Jordan,Looks like yall got rabbit to last a while. I'd love to get into em like that.Congrats on a great hunt.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thats a pile of rabbits alright. You might want to take a few and grind them up and make rabbit sausage. Season them up just like you would if you were going to make regular pork sausage. Its one of my favorites.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hmmm never thought of that. sounds like it would be good though. thanks for the tip! the most productive spot was a solid section of winter wheat. there's tumbleweeds all in the fencerows and old farm equipment along the dry tailwater pits. it was like a video game how many bunnies were running out of those areas. we have a bunch of coyotes here, but they don't hurt the rabbit population much. from what i saw in e. tx fire ants are the worst. they'll kill anything that nests on the ground. too cold for them up here though, or so we are told. the coyotes here eat mostly mice and deer fawns and cactus apples. all easy to get without putting out a bunch of energy to catch it! i hate coyotes...

7. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Oh, how I envy you Jordan....I love Rabbit,more so than I like venison..........:cool2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WOW!!!!Congrats Jordan on a great hunt.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a mess of rabbts, congrats.

10. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Wow Jordan that's a mess of bunnies:big_smile: Since I've moved down here to SW Missouri I haven't killed a bunnie for 9 years and that sucks, my rabbit eating is confined to finding a guy that sells them.:embarassed: You are a lucky guy to have such a resourse close to home, I'd drive 100 miles to get into bunnies again:crazy:

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    most folks here don't hunt rabbits. it raises eyebrows when you say you eat rabbit or squirrel. don't bother me none, there's no shortage here and there's a thousand ways to cook em! i'd love to have some squirrel hunting close by, but this area is devoid of trees.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I got access to 8 of the best beagles i ever seen run. One major problem however, very few rabbits. Hardly any agriculture here other than cattle so i don't see it gettin better any time soon. Dang i can't imagine living in a place where head lighting was legal. Ever pass that law in this part of the country these rednecks will kill everything with a hart beat.:crazy:

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    No squirrel's here, got cottontails tho. I got one running through my apartment complex, heres a cell phone pic from the other morning.

Attached Files:

14. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    If ya spend anytime in the country around here at night you'd think spotlighting was legal HERE!!!!!:crazy: One of the reasons there aren't any bunnies and IS the reason people won't let you HUNT ANTTHING around here:confused2:

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a mess of bunnies!

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good hunting trip. Hunting bunnies is lots of fun, I haven't done it in too long. Eating them is fun too. Its been so long I'm tempted to go buy some. Also some pheasant. My brother supplied some and mom cooked it up just like when we were kids. She still got the touch. It was grandmas recipe, and she was a good cook.

17. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like you need to call the local warden and fill him in on the area activity. Maybe he can help you out.

18. Quack_Addict88

Quack_Addict88 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats!! thx for the post!