Cottontail Rabbits

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by whiskers, Oct 9, 2005.

1. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    Is there an easy way to clean a cottontail... it usually takes me aroud 45 min.-1hour to clean one of em! HELP PLEASE!!!

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Dude...what are you doing?? Plucking the rabbit? Just grab it by the hind feet...and basically put...grab ahold of the hide around its feet and just start peeling. The hide will come right off. After it is skinned...reach into its solar plexis with two fingers and tear downward....the guts will pull right out. Empty the guts and the chest cavity...then take a knife and cut out around its butt...cut off the feet...wash it off...and it's ready to be rolled in flour and fried or to be frozen. Elapsed time...2 minutes max.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    My method.
    wedge head in fork of a tree
    clip feet off with hand held garden clippers
    small cut behind head on neck
    pull skin off
    gut
    hold gallon ziplock under rabbit
    clip spine

Elapsed time 2.20-dang gotta get to the 2 min mark :D

4. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    i shoot em with a 12 gauge so the fur gets down in the meat

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    After they are shot dead I grab them by the head and snap my wrist in a downward motion. This loosens the innards down under the rib cage. Then I grab it just under the rib cage and squeeze the guts out the butt onto the ground. then he goes in the pouch. At home I run the knife around th feet and neck and skin it. then cut up the pieces and run hot water over them for excess hair. Then I dig out the pellets. Elapsed time 8 minutes 43 seconds. Dang! These guys are Good!

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i make a small slit in the center of th erabbits back grab the slit on each side and pull the fur apart on eend up to the head and the other down to the feet,cut feet off with knife or clippers and pull head off.next i cut from the anus up to the neck and pull out the guts,soak in water then fry or freeze.est time prolly lil over 1 min.