Cottonseed chum?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Blakemo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yesterday I was at academy and saw a big brick of cotton seed chum for catfish and a few other fish. Has anyone ever tried this?

2. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive used it in traps to catch bream and perch for bait....works good and will last a while

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    cotton seed chum and cakes have been used for many many years. It is a good attractant especially for smaller eating size fish.

Most fishermen got a way from it when soy beans and corn were cheaper to buy than the cottonseed cakes.

I feel like that since corn has taken such a drastic rise in price that fishermen will look for alternatives and some will return to cottonseed.

4. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I grew up in Louisiana where my dad was a commercial fisherman. Cottonseed cake was all we ever used in our hoop nets. We would catch all kinds of fish but primarily catfish, so yes I can see it working well.

5. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cool, thats the responses I hoped for :)

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    it will make a good chum and trap bait for cats,
    and in smaller bait traps it is good for minnows and crayfish.not the best but a good one.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I make dough bait (boilies) w/ soured cottonseed meal mixture in it and it's a great bait for channels and suckers on trotline.

One of the things I've noticed about cottonseed vs. corn is that, in the 'sucker' family', buffalo sucker are more attracted to the cottonseed and carp to the corn; that's around here anyway.

8. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks, I guess im going to have to buy some next time im there.

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    We used to run 5 hooks on a trot line and then a cotton seed cake, 5 hooks then a cake, etc. never caught many catfish on the cakes, but alot of Buffalo. But, we very rarely ever got skunked by the cats either. The way it was explained to me was the cakes would draw the cats in and then when they got there would see the big crawdads we baited the other hooks with and bite on those...the Buffalo only were there for the cakes I think....lol So to answer your question yes cotton seed cakes are good fish attractants.

10. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    when I was a kid at my families resort, in the lake of the ozarks, we would use cotton seed cake on our trot lines,it was cut into 2x2" cakes with a 1/4" hole in the middle strung with a hook facing outboard on each side. it would slay channels and each cake would last several days.:wink: