Cotton seed meal

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Drawout, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Cotton Seed Meal Anyone know where to buy this at in the block ? Our feed stores around here only carry cubes or crushed.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Johnny ask your local feed store. They will order it in for you.:lol:

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Johnny, I have some experience with cootonseed meal and may be able to help you, but it would be helpful if I knew exactly what you want to do with it. Cottonseed cake is getting harder to come by and is not cheap over the internet.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Im wanting the old blocks of it for baiting holes for catfish.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Johnny, soured grain works as well or better and is much easier to aquire.

After reading this thread the other day or one simular, I asked the local coop here and they didn't have it. That tells me it would be hard to get. I use soured corn, because it is relatively cheap. When I lived in Texas, I used milo. Just about any grain that is soured will work for chum.

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx buck ill get some started so it will be sour in a couple of weeks.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Catfish Connection carries cottonseed cakes in 4lb blocks.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Johnny, Buck is right about soured grain working just as well for chum, and cheaper. In my experience, if you don't want to attract carp so much then use something other than corn, like wheat or milo. Many years ago I had a trotline out down below Ford and was catching the heck out of eatin sized channels, and every one of the bellys were full to the brim with whole wheat berries. Evidently I was sittin right on top of someone's baited hole.

I use cottonseed meal in my homemade bait ( http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36205 ) but mostly because buffalo suckers really love it. Channels and buffs are my main two target fish when trotlining. I have to drive 30 miles to Lexington to get the stuff though. But, a 50# bag for $11 and change lasts a long time.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to make my own cottonseed cake.

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx Larry , but i think im gonna try the soured grain since its cheaper and i can get it easily.