cotter pins and sangs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DieRache, Jun 13, 2009.

1. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont know if it has been posted here before but thought I would share it anyway.

The river in which I fish is very well known for kidnapping a fisherman's tackle. I read someplace a way to rig your line with a way to release your weight and 90 percent of the time only lose your weight. SO i tried it and it works.

Here is the big secret. Cotter pins. I use a 3 way swivel one goes to main line another to a leader and the other to a short leader with a small easy to bend cotter pin. Then I jsut slip my weight over the pin and bend the tines back a bit. And if I get hung up a give a hard pull and the tines pull straight releasing the weight and my line most of the time is freed up. Saved a lot of time re rigging and money on hooks and such.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Thats one I haven't seen before. I'll have to try it.

Welcome to the BOC

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you got a pic you can show us there bro?

4. mikesmoff

mikesmoff New Member

State:
    New York
    I attach my sinkers to the sinker slide using a wire twist-tie on the same basic principle- maybe the cotter pins work even better?
    We'll see-
    I know if you don't check the twist tie every cast you can launch lead in a direction you weren't expecting when casting, which can be a problem to say the least!

Is that an issue with the cotter pins?

I've also notice with the regular black sinker slides on 50# test PowerPro that a sometimes the line will actually cut through the slide and release the sinker when you're pulling on it (when snagged).

Thanks!

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a good idea!I,ll have to try some.Thanks.:wink:

6. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ill get a picture of it posted. And if you dont bend the tines enough I have thrown a few weights into space before. I bend them almost at a 90 degree.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Matthew welcome to the BOC ,thanks for sharing that idea with the BOC

8. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Welcome to the BOC!!!!! sounds like a great idea thanks for sharing:cool2:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man that is a great idea for fishen bad bottom with a 3 way rig Reps Bro. Man I luv this site learn somthen new every day.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i do the same thing with a snap swivel as a sinker slide and use a bread tie to attach the sinker to the slide, bread tie always lets go before my main line or leader, saves alot of rigs and bread ties are cheap:wink:

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats one of those good~ why didnt I think of that- Ideas... Welcome to the BOC!:big_smile: