Cotter Catfish

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kpasa, Aug 19, 2008.

1. kpasa

kpasa New Member

State:
    florida
    Hi, we're from Florida and vacation in Cotter each November to fish for trout. We would like to try catfishing in the area. Is there walk in bank fishing available within an hours drive of Cotter on any of the area lakes or streams? Does Crooked Creek hold catfish? Would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks. Kpasa.

2. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hi Kpasa my name is Kyle and I just moved to Russellville a few weeks ago from the Flippin/ Yellville area, Which is just about 10 minutes from cotter. Your best bet will probably be Bull Shoals Lake. Its pretty close. The only problem with the lake is that the water is so high its hard to find any spots on the bank to fish. But there are lots of accesses on the lake. I usually fish Jimmies Creek. But if I were you I would Try in the city of Bull Shoals there are plenty of accesses and it is deeper in that area so it will be alot easier to hit the thermocline. You will probably need to hit about 20 to 30 feet deep. Pot Shoals boat access used to be really good also I havent fished that area in a few years though. In bull shoals, I would try red barn, or up by the Bull Shoals Lake Boat Docks they have a pretty open access area there. Good Luck

3. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    yes crooked creek does hold catfish. I dont know why I didnt think about that before. you will want to find deeper holes to fish. There used to be a nice hole below Kelly's slab in yellville across from the sherriffs department.And another a hundred yards or so down from the slab. Another good hole on crooked creek that produces some nice catfish is up at snow. Its a big hole about 200 yards down stream from the snow access. This is the one I like to fish. You will also catch some really nice smallmouth out of this hole. My brother landed one this summer that went 5 1/2 pounds. Use your trout rig with shad or creek shiners that range from 2 to 4 inches long. If you want to catch fish this is where I would go.:wink:

4. kpasa

kpasa New Member

State:
    florida
    Kyle, thanks for your help. I know where those spots are. Will stink baits work in the creek? Tom

5. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    yeah but shad or minnows work a lot better. If you have to buy minnows King's Tropics in flippin usually has them on hand. And about this time of the year you can catch tons of shad with a cast net off of kelly's slad.

6. kpasa

kpasa New Member

State:
    florida
    Kyle, one last question. Size and type of hook? Thanks again, we're dealing with Tropical Storm Fay today and my computer keeps going off with the power. Tom

7. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well most the cats you will catch in crooked creek are not real big the biggest cat I caught was probably 5 pounds. I usually use a 2/0. but i have heard of 20 -30 pounders coming out of that creek. But average size will probably be around 2 -3 pounds.

8. kpasa

kpasa New Member

State:
    florida
    Perfect size for the pan. Thanks for your help.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

10. kpasa

kpasa New Member

State:
    florida