Cottage cheese Catfish bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by treddinwater, Mar 9, 2006.

1. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ok, tell me what you think of this one, my dad and I have thrown this one around for a couple of years, but have never tried. We think that if you took a section of hose and filled it with cottage cheese, sealed if off, and let it sit in the sun for a few days that it would become hook friendly. What do you guys think, good idea or just a fantasy?

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Interesting to say the least. I would imagine the smell would keep other boaters away as well. Never hurts to try and who knows it could be a big hit. Let us know how it works. Good Luck

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its worth a try i guess. maybe put it in some PVC instead?

4. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm eager to finally try this out this year, the only problem will be if the neighbors will complain over about the smell haha. I really gotta wait for some good warm sunny days to try it out thouse and that could be another month or so.

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    My only suggestion would be to somehow after sealing it off find a way to attach something to it so u can lower it and keep it submersed under water with some small holes in it so the smell can aroma the water lol. then a way to pull it outta the water after your finished with it.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well we know cats will hit just about anything.

7. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
  8. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    take it to a friends house and hide it then come back and get it or someone you dont like

9. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Why not try Limburger cheese while your at it? You talk about stink, someone in the area will think you S--T your pants. I don't know if you have it in your area. I love it on rye bread with a slice of onion myself. But i'm willing to share it with the fish. :) ;)

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know how accurate this is, but I remember reading about a test of a lot of different types of cheese for catfish bait; the best turned out to be a chunk of cheddar cheese. It's simple, stays on a hook, and isn't that expensive.

11. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    haha, Hey Trevor, we actually smeered stink bait under a guy's porch one time who owed my dad money and wouldn't pay up, middle of July and a light rain came through, it smelt bad for weeks over there lol. And that limberger cheese is expensive, I thought about trying it once, but shyed away when I saw the cost. I'll probably give cheddar cheese a try sometime this year.