cost of living increase?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Jan 19, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    well once again my wife gets a raise at the hospital she works at
    and once again in the same letter as the notice informing the employees
    of their pay increase due to cost of liveing is another letter informing them that their current insurance premiums will be increased.

she has worked at this hospital close to 14 years and each time she gets a raise they raise the cost of insurance.
    has any one else had this happen to them??
    it seems a little convieniant to me that they pull this crap.
    after all the fuel hikes and every tax loan payment and fees for anything you could imagine it would be nice to get a little more for your services but
    it just doesnt work out that way.

i think they should just say hey your insurance is going up and we will cover the increase for you. at least that would be truthful.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Social Security dissability is the same way. I get a raise medicare goes up. I usually end up with about a 2 dollar raise out of fifteen or so.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I can relate.... Things are bad in PHX in the last 11 years the home prices have trippled forcing many to leave the state. Its a shame you try to start a family in a modest home and make a go of it only to find that with every step forward youve really taken two steps back.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    About 4 years ago my insurance at work went from 39 dollars a week to 95 dollars a week. They raised it all at one time. The group rates went up because our group had gotten smaller. Smaller group means larger payments and the cost to company had gone up as well. Unfortunately for the group I declined my coverage and got on the army's Tri-Care insurance. Cost is 412 dollars a year for a family, and less if you're single. I read that it's about to double in cost soon though, but it will still be cheaper than what I had. So yes, I can relate also. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do unless you're lucky enough to have some other insurance to fall back on. My company's insurance has gone up each year since. I'm glad I dropped them.

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    My company did the same thing a few weeks ago - avg raise $700; increase in paycheck deduction for 3 person family med insurance $1000.

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Smile and be happy, Myself they won't talk to due to having 3 breaks to my spinal column, won't insure my wife due to she has a terminal illness, won't insure our daughter due to being in the hosp. almost every year due to athsma attacks. So we have none, period.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    You should live in Texas. Insurance should be a crime. It doesnt matter if one gets a cost of living raise or not. You gonna pay the piper on insurance. LOL.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Cathunter I know how you feel. Going thru the same thing with my wife.
    She has the same problem with her.
    I have to pay cash when she goes to the hospital.
    Her insurance went up to 1200 a month and we just couldn't afford it.
    I work for the county and they gave me a 3% raise 3 years in a row and I bring home less money now then I did before the raise.
    The tax makers and the health groups just don't want to help the older generation now so I am like every one else just set by and hope for the best I guess.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Yea I have we just got a cost of living increase and man did it help. I was bring home $726.54 every 2 weeks but after my cost of living increases and insurance and tax adjustment I am now bring in $706.21 I sure could do with out these kinds of increases that is for sure.

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, I hear ya, it stinks but at least a couple of pluses going for you, The wife has a decent job and unlike me, the company I work for for the last 3.5 years, I havent seen a raise yet and actually took 1 paycut, while yes, our insurance keeps going up. Ohio is as bad as place as any to live job wise.

Hang in there,
    Salmonid

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I know the feeling our innsurance use to be free, not anymore. It wouldnt be so bad if they would add dental and eye, but no such luck.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i see it aint only us then, seems to be a country wide thing evidently.

i am thankful we both have jobs and we are able to make our ends meet.
    just wanting to know if this practice of heres a raise and your insurance just went up was just a HERE thing or is it everywhere.
    i dont have insurance ,fortunatly my wifes plan includes the kids and myself.
    if it was just for her it would be free.
    thanks to all for responses .:)

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

My medical insurance is free, but me eye & dental are $30 a month. On the other hand, my girlfriends is $200/month for all three for her and her son. Talk about raping the pocket book.

Ray

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    We sure seem to take it on the chin.
    Bill

15. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    we have insurance through the wifes job her company pays 100% of it for her and me and it includes eye and dental the medical is good the eye is good the dental sucks. for the dental we are real limited on what dentist we can go to.

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When I worked for the local school here, we would get pay raises and I wold reply to my boss the insurance company is getting a pay raise, Let me give you an for instance. The custodians would get a 3% raise and the insurance the next year would go up 3 1/2%. yep the were/are slick,Waite a year but they would get theirs.

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Its ashamed how the average working American is getting racked through the coals by number crunching while trying to work and raise a family. Many people on BOC is in that position from the way I have read post over the years. Most people can't afford nor has the time to voice concerns and most concerns are ignored. One little accident in health etc.
    can wipe out a families financial status. Insurance cost and coverage is not good but better than nothing. You know, most people do try to make right decisions throughout life. We sometimes make mistakes when trying. Doesn't mean we should throw them away.
    This is what creates more welfare, people needing help and more crime. We do have freeloaders but for the most part, you treat a working man with a family, right and they will go with the flow of things, will work and pay their own way through life. Some people or perfectly satisfied with a simple life and others want more. Simple is not a crime nor should it be forced into welfare etc. We aint all rocket scientist and we aint all worthless as some calls it. There is a big difference between being treated fair and taken advantage of.
    Not every body has the same opportunities in life.
    The way things are going these days is why people are not caring and at each others throats. Seems 9 out of 10 people I cross paths with everyday in public, just dont care. That is why I stay to myself most times. To advoid trouble. JMO.

18. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    All I'll say is;
    At least be thankful that your company OFFERS insurance. A lot do not. If you want to see if "you're being bent over" try checking into how much it will cost you out of pocket to just go out and get your own without using government,military or "group rates". Just you,the man getting it for your family. Let me be the first to warn you, It ain't cheap and it's a lot more than what you will pay thru a group or government plan.

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your gross pay may not be taxed. It's possible for your company to deduct your coast of insurance then tax the gross after that. Check into it.

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I work for a company based out of Wisconsin that has over 30 plants situated in various countries across the world. They also own their own insurance provider. Our insurance is reasonable...$33 a week for family coverage...$5 a week for vision...$3 a week for a prescription card...$7 a week for dental. They pay 80% of all incurred costs...we are responsible for 20%.

The only gripe I have is that we are on a network plan. There are only certain doctors or dentists that we are allowed to use. If we stray out of network...the coverage is 50/50. (With the exception of valid emergency room visits...then it's 100%)

Overall we have a good plan. But make no mistake...even though we have to pay only 20%...the cost of medical treatment of any kind is ridiculous. The prices are designed to gouge the insurance companies...and the average joe blow that has even a minor medical emergency (God forbid a major emergency) had better be prepared to become collateral damage in the process.

Like DRC and Gator said...the cost of living increase we received didn't cover the premium increases. Not even close. Just 3 years ago my insurance premiums were $34 combined...now they are $48 a week. Over the same 3 year period....my cost of living increases totaled $2.25...versus $14 in coverage increases.