Cost of Food Plots

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by WylieCat, Jan 4, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Has anyone took a serious look at the cost per acre to prepare and plant a food plot at the recommended planting rates?

I have been tasked to take over the management for our club and I am coming up with between $125 and $200 per acre. This takes into account lime, fertilizer, fuel, and seed. The biggest variables are the amount of lime required and the seed used. As our pH comes into check the cost will go down, as will the fertilizer cost, and for perennials like some clovers this cost can be amortized over several seasons.

I would be curious as to the findings of others.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wish I could do that here but it is considered baiting. We can't hunt over baited fields or bait piles in Virginia. If the clover was for cattle it is OK.

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Easy fix....... get a cow.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats a good fix but we dont have enough land around here to raise a cow in a pasture so we have to feed the ones running loose.:lol: food plots are the way to go in alot of area now with the farmers going out around here. not much farming going on and the houses are booming in the fields now.

wylie i havent never done much food plots but i think you get out of hunting what you put into it. its easy to see we need some sort of feeding for the deer with the growing populations in areas they no longer seem to have the big bucks. to find big bucks you have to hunt areas with low deer densities that have some agriculture going on in it. makes for a health deer herd but not many places that dont have deer anymore. i havent seen a 200lb deer track in years but i seen plenty of deer. use to be the opposite here. im thinking about one for next year myself. good luck with your food plotts.

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    something to think about if you can't plant food plots is fertilizing natural habitat, I've fertilizer sections of honey suckle fence rows before and have the deer almost kill the fertilized parts while leaving the unfertilized sections almost untouched. Fertilizing persimmon and oak trees will help too. Deer eat lots of things and anything they eat can be made better and more appealing to them with fertilizer. Mowing and bush hogging down mature growth to let the new stuff come up helps a lot too, any new growth will be higher in food value and digestibility than mature plants.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Planting corn, beans, clover or whatever you want and leaving it unharvested for hunting purposes is 100 % legal in VA for ducks, doves, deer, turkeys and all legal game. What is not legal is introducing grains, salt and other substances to attract wildlife. Planting a food plot and hunting over it is OK. However.......... when the food plot is pretty much eaten up and you dump more soybean seeds in your food plot of planted soybeans to sweeten it up a bit = big fine, confiscation of equipment, and say goodbye to your hunting license for awhile. very serious offense.

7. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    While most hunters use food plots to attract deer during hunting season they neglect them the rest of the year. Deer need the nutrition of the food plots the most during winter after the season is closed. We plant spring / summer plost and fall / winter plots. In the spring we put out supplemental minerals in addition to fertilizing honeysuckle, greenbriar, white oak trees, persimmon trees, and muscadine vines. We have planted fruit trees and sawtooth oak trees. For several years we shot lots of does and very few bucks. We have seen our deer's body weights and antler size increase way above the average for this area. All of this is done on a relatively small tract of land...200 acres.
    I am scared to guess what the cost has been...I may die of sticker shock.