Cost of a Boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by low desert jonathan, May 7, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    I was just wondering How much money does the average catfisherman have tied up in his or her boats? Are we all going broke together or is it just me? I can barely afford to take my boat out like I used too. Anyone else have this problem . Broke in Southern California LDJ:angry:

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It dosent cost me as much as it did two years ago.I moved to the river. Better yet the place I fish is 300 yards from where I put my boat in.I can fish for a week for what I used to pay for one day of fishing.
    smokey

3. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    mine cost $13,500 with NO motor 2 years ago.....I tell folks it cost me about $10 a day to own it

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Mine cost $12,500.00 complete and still adding things to it.

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish relatively small areas of three different lakes. I now put in at the ramp closest to the area where i'm going to fish. Fuel doesn't add up to much then. Now if i'm on a lake I haven't been before, I may do a little running up and down the lake to figure it out, but most of the time I'll buy a lake map in advance of going fishing. I'll study the map and mark some spots by GPS.

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I figure I got about 16000.00 in it. Later Andy

7. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have a 14ft jon boat with with el-cheep-o everything bought new and i have about 3000.00 in it.:sad2::angry: however i love my boat.

8. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Well....I bought my Ranger in '86 for $12K. Over the years, I've probably put another $2000 in maintenance and replacing trolling motors, batteries and electronics. Still, $14k over 23 years has been worth it!

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rich folks have mega catfish rigs, up to $35,000. Poor guys like me have $2000 in my J-16 Carolina Skiff with a 25hp Tohatsu, and $3000 in my 20 foot Fishin'/Ski Barge with a 200 Merc on it. With today's economy, I expect a nice rig could be bought for $1500 or less. I would NEVER sacrifice boating over bank fishin', because of price. Look diligently on Craigslist and other classifieds and you will find your steal! I am like some of the other posters in that this economy crunch has me staying home a lot of good fishin' days. Most times nowadays, I furnish boat, rods/reels/equipment/bait, if others furnish FUEL. I fish 6 1/2 days a week, night or day, with anyone who likes to fish and can provide fuel, and I keep an open invitation to anyone in the United States on the forum who wants to come fish and will provide fuel.

Bill in SC

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I bought my boat for $100 bucks (family discount) My grandpa's boat.Then basically rebuilt it. Most Items on my boat are hand made Like the rod holders, console.. Etc. My biggest expense was the motor which I bought from Boc Member crossxsticks. I add or take away on a regular basis. My biggest expense this year was a new pump for the CMC tilt and trim. I bought new items today while out shopping, new bilge pump and float and a electrical terminal so I can make heads or tails of all the wiring mess I made. and put them on individual fuses. :smile2: But as far as fuel That 50hp evinrude sips it and I can fish for several trips on one fill up of 12 gallons. I love my boat , but would dump it in a heartbeat for a 20' of the same kind. Skibarge by Kenner Made in Knoxville arkansas way back in 1967:wink: I would say I spend no less than $500 year on upgrades or changes. Never ends.

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've never needed a boat till now..Every one in my family had a boat back home in Louisiana..My Dad built a 15' aluminum flatbottom skiff in '97...It cost him 1400 dollars in material to build the boat..He already had the motor on another boat he had..He paid 4300 for a 40HP evinrude and put that on the new skiff..So my dad had at least 5700 in the boat..Now that I don't live in Louisiana he gave me the boat in Sep. '07..It had been laid up a year and a half before I got it cause my dad sold the camp and just never used it any more...I had it laid up until recently..I rebuilt the carbs,changed the lower unit oil,replaced the battery and battery cables,bought all the safety gear and life vest,new fuel line and filter,replaced the entire waterpump,changed plugs,changed the starter and finally got it running..I still need to replace the floor and buy a fishfinder,trolling motor and rod holders..So far I think I got about 800 bucks invested so far..I'd say its gonna take me another 800 to get it to where I want it..All in all it takes me 30 -35 bucks to take her out fishing for the day..

12. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I paid about $13, 500 for my boat. Picked out a small hp 4 stroke for economy and sure am happy with it. It sips gas and runs like a sewing machine. If I'm in a big hurry to go fishing I just leave a lil earlier. :) The biggest cost in buying a rig is the motor usually so if yer not into big horsepower you can save some green. Tight lines.

:cool2:

13. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I'm going to get another boat when I get home. I've saved 15,000 for it so I'm hoping I can get something used and reliable.

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've got about $5000 in a brand new boat motor and trailer.......

That doesn't include all the OTHER stuff i've bought for it. Rod holders, gas tank, carpet, miscellaneous SS screws, cleats, wiring, lights. The list goes on and on, and i'm still adding stuff. Then i hafta buy my registration stickers every 2 years, trailer registration every other year. Then you gotta buy gas and oil for the truck, and boat motor. If one more county around me starts making me buy "ramp permits", i'm gonna scream!! I bought a small aluminum boat because it was supposed to be cheap!!!:smile2:

Oh well, i wouldn't trade it for the world....best investment i've ever made (even though it will never work out that way on paper).

Like has been said many times "a boat is just a hole in the water you dump money into".

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never seen so many candidates for building boats gathered in one place.
    With a 16,000 boat building budget I could make a 35,000 dollar cat rig look sick. That is all there is to it.

Half the fun is the building the other half is internet shopping for every piece of it.

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    A boat is a Hole In The Water That You Stick Money In.

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've paid $1500 for my boat and then slapped a $500 fish finder on it and several drift masters. It's a 16' with a 50 hp jet drive. I got a deal of a lifetime on that rig because I could sell it for 4 grand right now as is without the fish finder.

My next boat is either going to be a big Alweld outboard jet rig or a 20' seaark. Just depends if I want to keep my current jet boat since it's paid off or sell it for a bigger jet boat.

18. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Well, I paid an even 20,000 new in Mar 07 for my 20' River Cat and of course that is just the begining. I spent 1500 on a 987Csi. I put another custom livewell in it, lighting, rod rack, rod holders, wireless TM and time and effort... all in all probably around 23,000 and of course there are always little things that I tweek here and there. The best thing is that when I got the go ahead to get a new boat from mama, I told her that I was going to get it the way I wanted it so I did not always have to be looking to something else. So that is what I did and am very happy with what I have. My 115 E-TEC has saved me some money in the long run with good gas milage and I have done nothing to it and never have to crank it twice. I chose an aluminum so that I could modify easily and modify I do.
    Bottom line, it doesn't matter how much it costs...it's what you get out of it personally.:big_smile:

Sean

19. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Youe E Tec engine is the best product on the market. I have the 90HP and I have never had a problem with it in five years. LDJ:cool2:

20. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I have about 4500 in mine and wouldnt take 10000 for it.the boat has a 05 25hp yamaha 4stroke on it and talk about fuel mileage, I have rod holders all the way around so I can fish any position I want, Love it and wouldnt change a thing on it.
    I will be ordering a 09 v-cat in a couple months,but will keep the small one for skinny water river fishing.