Cost cutting ideas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    With the economy down, how have you been cutting costs. I know there are some good ideas out there, and might be worth putting your ideas out to help out a fellow BOC member.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Flourescent lighting.Dropped power usage almost half from regular bulbs.Store Brand green beans instead of name brand (we eat green beans every meal),wheat bread instead of light bread cause it seems to fill the kids up faster.

No 1 is TURN OFF THE LIGHTS... anyone with kids can surely relate to this.Now that warm weather is here our power bill will go from 200 a month to about 95 since we fish alot and 2 out of 3 play baseball.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Raise a big garden and share it with the local Food Bank,,, help others out,,,

what goes around,, comes around.

Take away the wifes check book. lol

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I am getting in on 2 gardens this year my cousin has about 3 acres we are doing up in squash,strawberries,corn,green beans and some other various veggies,and my aunt has about .5 acre we usually plant all in green beans and that place is crazy 3 yrs ago we planted it all in half runners and 2 families out of 4 who helped are still eating canned green beans from that year alone.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I quit drinking beer, saves me about $400.00 a month.

Also had a sitdown with the Missus and tore up her credit card.

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Riding my motorcycle to work each day instead of my truck saved me about 400 bucks a month when gas was really high.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla

Missus sat me down and tore up my credit card and took the check book.:crazy::smile2:

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Eat more fish, we keep enough fish to eat several times a week, saves about 1000 a year, .... fish all night, you won't use as much electrons, ..... catch ALL of your own bait, (worms fer gills, gills for flats, etc), .....
    re-bottle your bottled water, ..... just a few...

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    That's awesome. It costs a lot to sit at a bar, if you do that. Fishing IS the cheap thing to me. Most things I would do would cost more.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know eating out cuts into the food bill drastically. My wife has cut down on eating out.

How many of you like to drink coffee from one of those exclusive coffee shops. I use to until I figured out I could by their products right there in wally world (a little expensive), but in the long run I make out by saving myself from buying about 20 cups of coffee at a fraction of the price. Plus I got more per pot, than I do a 16 oz cup.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Changed all our lightbulbs to cost efficient ones,Dont drive down to the conv. store unless we need several items,(costs more to drive 6 blocks to buy one bottle of soda that the soda costs) Havent had a credit card for 10 yrs,Learned a lesson. Grow alot of my own veggies,Fish and hunt for meat instead of buying it from the store,And grow rabbits and chickens,both for meat/to sell. Have also cut magazine subs to save money.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know where they get off charging that much for a couple of beans and a shot of water to begin with...

13. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah the cheapest coffee at those places is regular coffee for $2 dollars for a 16 oz cup.....you can buy a lb of coffee for $4, I can get about 12 pots of coffee out of one, tastes the same to me......probably better it is fresh, and the way I like it when I fix it myself.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I drink more Ice tea and less pop. Trying to cut down on cigarettes. Little things can make a difference. This past winter I closed off two rooms not in use. Last summer I replaced an old air conditioner with one that does a better job and cost about half as much to operate.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Boomer, Good thread, besides saving a little money it reminds many of us we are not alone in this downturn. Thanks

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great thread Boomer. Just stop and think before you make a move. Weather your taken a shower, trip,lights food, smoking,drinking and etc. There is always room for each of us to improve and economise.

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So appreciate this thread Boomer, We also went to floresent lights,and were having some men come to winterize our home so we can cut the cost of airconditioning this summer and heat when it turns winter again.:smile2:

18. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We had an insulation outfit blow another 6" of insulation on top of what we had this spring,,, cost 450,,, but electric and propane costs are high so it will help some, summer and winter.

You know years ago,, we used to play a lot of cards at folks houses,, really good entertainment,,, very low cost,, just snacks,,,, hey that is a fun way to save money and get along with folks.

There are a lot of ways to save money,,, but you don't want to cut yourself so short that you are miserable,,,, a person has to treat oneself, once in a while,,,, it really helps the mental health...

What I' saying Moms and Dads is,, don't be so cheap and frugal that everyone in your house is miserable,,,,

Camping and fishing in backwoods setting where cost is minimal is great,,, some of these campgrounds are silly what they want for a camp site.

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    We use CFL's, turn down heat in morning when no one is home and don't turn it up at night. I got new windows couple years ago, made a big difference in maintaining constant temp in the house as well as keeping outside noise out. Save rainwater for the fruit trees, and compost whatever we can. I put ground cover in the yard to cut watering cost, and don't have to mow it. Walk to places close by, if I'm not in a hurry. I drive at a reasonable speed usually, and don't tailgate, saves brake pads. I buy gas at a cash place, its cheaper than the credit/debit card machine places. I finally realized a couple years ago that credit card interest was a big drain, so I quit using it except when I need to, and pay cash for about everything. I still have good credit, but not so much drain on my money in interest. I cut down smoking, hardly drink beer, and snacks. When I clean my paint brushes, I save the last rinse water to use on first cleanings. I buy used fishing stuff if there is something I want.