Corrosion

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by droptine77, Apr 19, 2008.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Is there any poduct out there that can be ran thru a motor to remove salt water corrosion? I recently replaced the head gaskts and the water jackets were almost stopped up with junk. Makes me wonder what the rest of the engine looks like.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I think it's called "Salt Away". can be purchased at marine dealers or places like boaters world.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had this bad for the 7 years I lived at Tybee Island Georgia.Regular trips to the Ogeechee river and Okefenokee Swamp kept it in check.After I moved away and mostly just fished the above.It disappeared completely with time.

I once saw a very small fountain pump in a steel 55 gal drum with hose fittings and a valve for volume control piped to the flush plug on a outboard mounted on the side of the drum with the foot inside.He poured in 1 gallon of White Vinegar,filled up the drum to the correct level on the motor he said.He let this circulate without running the motor.He said he changed out the water and the vinegar every couple of days.He was about 50 and had lived on salt water all of his life.He claimed his grand dad,dad and he did this all their lives.It works on Coffee pots but I wonder about the acid in the Vinegar eating the aluminum.I have never tried it,but I do know that he was a solid dependable man and HE believed in it.He had a strainer/filter on the pump inlet as the chunks came out at times big enough to lock up the small pump.

Weak acid from the rotting leaves turns the Black water rivers and Swamps black.I know they will clean it out.Very weak acid must be a answer.

Strong acid flushing was a common shutdown procedure at the paper mills I worked at and next to.I have hooked up RR tank cars of acid at our acid spot in the chemical plant next door to the pulp mill for this.I know it works.I do not know how weak it needs to be for outboards.I am guessing that what I saw was at least 35 gallons of water to one gallon of White Vinegar.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Removing the salt and calcium deposits will make your motor run cooler,It will also clean and leave any corrosion damage such as pitting very evident.

If you do nothing,it will eventually stop up your water passages to where the motor will over heat and burn up.This is rare but can happen suddenly if a chunk comes loose and suddenly stops up a passageway.Also.once it is completely plugged,you can't circulate anything to dissolve it.Salt water deposits have a lot of calcium and other mineral deposits besides salt!

Please let us know what you do and how it works out!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee