Corroded Aluminum help.

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by peewee williams, Dec 13, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a old cripple folks chair given to me that has set outside for years.I have got the bolts out and am going to replace the broken plastic seat with a piece of scrap plywood.Then this old cripple is planning on setting on it.

The legs are thin walled Aluminum pipe with one smaller sliding up inside the other to adjust the hight.They are "Froze UP" and do not adjust.Naturally,they are the wrong hight!I have worked and maintained Aluminum off and on for over 54 years now.I have never found a good way to separate such as this.At the Chemical plant that I worked at I could heat it and then cool it repeatedly in a Dry Ice storage box.Often such would free up after repeated sessions of this.I have never had access to this method at home.

Does anyone out there know of a modern penetrate or method that frees up such?

Thanks

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    check out your local auto parts store for a product called P B Blaster good stuff if the chair legs are real bad corroded then they may never come apart without damage hope this helps

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't had much luck separating corroded aluminum, either. I'd be interested to know if someone has a good idea.

4. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I have never tried it but I have heard of a product called corrosion block that will probably work.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Might try Lime-A-Way.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never tried with aluminum,But I have used two penetrating oils over the years with great sucess. One is called Kroil The other I believe was made by Gunk,Called 'Knock er Loose.

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    acid will eat the crud off the kind you clean aluminun trailers with

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I remember this stuff called aluminum jelly, havent seen it in years tho.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Get some Corrosion X if you can find it. We use this to dissolve corrosion on Acft parts to see if it's fixable. Not sure where you'd find it, but I'd think maybe in either an autoparts store of a marine parts store.