Corps cancel spring rise of Mo River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jlcperformance, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    Forecasts of heavy rainfall for much of the lower Missouri River basin has forced the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers to cancel this weekend's planned release of extra water into the river. The corps has originally planned a 2-day pulse, beginning saturday to prompt spawning of the pallid sturgeon, a fish that is on the endangered species list. But the agency said that flow, combined with expected heavy rainfall, could turn in flooding downstream. A second pulse is scheduled in May

a lil info for u guys waitin for some higher water like me, looks like this rain tonight should take care of that though.

2. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    What a joke... they forecasted rain all this last weekend too and it didn't rain a drop. If the fish require a rise now to help them spawn the let it rise, I don't see the Missouri jumping out of its banks so fast they can't reduce water release and for that matter if stuff gets flooded so be it... it's a FLOOD PLAIN.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I guess you just don't understand that NE Missouri got hammered with rain yesterday and last night. It's also time for spring planting. So if they can control flooding why not do it. I mean after all that's what a good portion of having a dam built is for. Flood control! Plus SD is always complaining that we are taking there vital water supply for a fish. Why lower the water any more then you have too. Mother nature seemed to do this release for the corps.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    And the rest of MO is getting hammered today from the looks of the radar!

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Maybe it will get the spoonbill moven :smile2:

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Bagnell has cranked up its water output over the last few days. I think you just might get your wish. :wink: