Corp of Engineers vs. all anglers

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by lebeaux, Aug 15, 2007.

1. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Anyone have any thoughts, compliments or criticisms for the Army Corp of Engineers? Guess what, I do. How about letting boat anglers and everyone else, for that matter, have a little more access to the tailrace below locks and dams on the OH:angry: I'm not asking for free range of the whole area, for obvious reasons, just let us get within 50 or 75 yds so we can make a long cast and hit those sweet spots. I don't know about the whole river, but below Willow Island you can't even get close. What do you folks all think?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think spoiling your fishing is the least concern of the Corp of Engineers. I won't say I am 100% happy with them all the time, but I don't know that it's worth my time or the trouble to complain about them. Their rules have been put in place because the human specie has demonstrated time and time again that it has no common sense. You may not get to the honey hole, but you will still be alive tomorrow to try again.

3. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    I think that our greed would override our common sense if we were given that kind of access.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    there are many many idiots in 10ft jon boats that would love to get right up in the locks and try for a big one!!! thats why the limits there.. they give 150' here at the newburgh indiana dam but some of the lock master will let you slide in a little closer as long as theres not a bunch of boats out trying to do it..... the 20' wide bottomless whirlpool i saw up there this spring is enough to deter me from getting to close!!!!

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I wouldn't be too comfortable getting much closer to the turbulant water, especially when they let the water out of the lock chamber! Not only that, but the closer I fish to the dam, the more snags I get! I know there are tons of fish out there, but I think it would be too much of a danger risk.

6. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with you all concerning the risk factor. Once again, not asking to get right up on it. Just withing casting range. I'm not sure of the exact distance but I would guess you can only get to within 150 yds @ the closest spot. Many states, and for all I know, many other dams on the OH allow closer access. I can't say for sure because Willow Isl. is the only big river dam I've fished below.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    That was the main reason we bought a lot on this lake... it's NOT managed by the Corp. Their lakes have all kind of restrictions for property owners... like, IF you can even have a boat dock, private property can't go all the way to the water, you can't clear brush or trees on the Corp strip, only a walk path. Corp lakes have to fluctuate lake levels for flood control... our lake is constant level except 3 ft drop in winter for folks to work on their seawalls. We probably couldn't have a yard sprinkler pump and have free water if this was a Corp lake.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    every dam, tailrace, etc. are different in structure, safety and magnitude. they base each accordingly for their own reasons. they don't consider the insane flathead fishermen like me and you jason that would simply do almost anything to get to that backwash area... thats why you need to wear camo, sneak, float over the dam in a tube etc. to get there lol...j/k i think the state regs. are there for a reason and it keeps us obsessed fishermen safe and alive to get to go home to our wives and children every day or night. if there wasn't laws we would see an accident rate that would be really sad...rollo

remember there are alot of smart people that make smart decisions, and alot more dumb people that think they are smart, that make...dumb decisions!!!!

9. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think the TVA has no ( or very little) restrictions. I've seen pics of anglers in boats fishing right below dams. Maybe I need to fish in Tennessee.

10. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

State:
    w.va.
    you can use a little remote control boat to get your bait close.i read a article about it somewheres.

11. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fish the area near Meldahl at least a handfull of times a year. They have you blocked from there pretty far as well,I'd say a good 2-300 ft. I decided one day while trying to catch some skips that I was just bygod gonna go right on up there and make a few cast anyway. My nephew and I both had on lifejackets and we were in a 17 ft fiberglass boat with a 115 motor. What I would consider a pretty safe boat. Well upon reaching casting distance to the walls, 75 feet or so, the kid was casting , and I was driving and I'm tellin ya that I couldn't control the boat !!! I could not keep it in a still position while he tried to get in a few good cast.It takes a lot to scare me ( i fish when the river is rockin) and I'll have to admit...it wasn't safe! This was at a normal pool with only about half the gates open! It's hard to imagine how rough and rampid that water is untill your in it! When the river is flowing,,lets say 80kcfs according to noaa...thats 80 thousand cubic feet per second across the width of the river !!!! I hate rules as much as the next guy,But if they would let me up there...I wouldn't go unless those gates were shut!!

One other thought to ponder. They used to have a observation area at meldahl...after 9/11 they closed all that off. Hard to get close even from a safe viewing area now.!

12. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I suppose there's a good reason for all this. Perhaps the dams in the TVA are made differently. I know the type of water you're talkin' about and it is pretty scarry:crazy: I take it they didn't call the coast guard on you or anything like that?

13. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    they do alot of good think of how rough them rivers would be if they did not exist lol plus they know we would swin under them waters with scubba gear if we new a 100 lber was there. look at all the people who die every year for no reason with the rules in place. beer, fish finder, no rules = dead fishermen. it would be nice if they would set days that the locks were shut off where you could get right up there if it was possible.

14. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    LOL...as far as I know they didn't call the coast gaurd. I was waitin on them to blow there little whistle at me but they never did.

2 High to fly had a great idea...close the gates once in a while ...you know..for maintenance purposes of course,and then "it would be ON" !!

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My experience has been when the gates are shut... the fish quit biting. So you could get to the honey hole, but what good would it do you?

16. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    There are large lakes all over northwest Miss. heck one of them is 68.000 acres and it don't matter how much money the gov.makes on taxes on fishing gear,bait,boats,gas,oil,trailer tags,ramp fees ect. the C of E tells us those lakes are for flood control and don't have anything to do with fishing so I don't know anyone who is happy with the Corp of Engineers and I sure ain't.

17. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sounds like a huge waste of H2O to me:angry:

18. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    The dam regs I'm sure are there for a good reason, but like all of Murphy's laws, just out of reach is where the big ones always are.
    But, the remote control boay solution thats a thought, that could be a whole discussion by itself. It could have good functionality in other instances as well like trying to cast right up close to a log pile without getting snagged.
    I think I might have to run down to wally worl dan give that a try:wink:

19. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yea, I've heard of guys using rc boats to place baits. Never really considered it.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to fish with a guy that used rc boats as well. most of the time i cast from the bank, but sometimes wait until dusk before arriving , having my poles ready. dropping baits accordingly as i head to the bank to setup. then after that, we cast only trying to keep silence on the bank and water..rollo