Cornbread Dressing Like My Granny Made

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kyredneck, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tina and I got a wild hair yesterday afternoon and threw together another ‘Thanksgiving meal’; she whupped up some chicken & dumplings using frozen chicken breasts, canned biscuit dough, canned broth, and a few select seasonings she likes.

I had already made a pone of cornbread that morning, so I decided to try my hand at old fashioned cornbread dressing like I loved so much as a kid when my Granny made it. I searched the world wide web and found a recipe that I thought would come close to Granny’s, and lo and behold, I have to admit that I was surprised to be VERY PLEASED with the end product, because I just didn‘t think anyone knew how to make cornbread dressing like my Granny’s’ dressing.

Here’s the recipe for the cornbread dressing along w/ *my input/critique:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/stuffingrecipes/r/bl060722a.htm

This home-style cornbread recipe is made with fresh cornbread crumbs and optional diced chicken.

INGREDIENTS:

6 cups crumbled cornbread
    3 cups soft bread crumbs
    4 ounces butter
    2 cups onion, chopped
    2 cups finely chopped celery
    3 to 4 cups chicken broth *
    2 cups chicken, diced, optional *
    1 heaping tablespoon dried sage, crumbled *
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme, crumbled
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 eggs, lightly beaten *

PREPARATION:

Heat oven to 400ºF. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread and white bread crumbs. In a saucepan over medium heat, [sauté the onion and celery]* in butter until tender. Do not brown. Combine the sautéed vegetables with the bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth, using enough to moisten. Stir in the diced chicken, if using, and the seasonings and beaten eggs, blending well. Spread the mixture in a large shallow baking or roasting pan measuring about 10" x 15". Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

* (2) 14.5 oz cans of broth would probably do, I used nearly three cans and had to bake the dressing about 15 minutes longer (IMO, I put in too much liquid).

* I didn’t add any chicken because we already had the meat with the dumplings.

* I think a little more sage would come closer to what my Granny made.

* I might try three eggs next time to get it to bind better, but after being refrigerated it was o.k..

* My Granny’s dressing had CRISP celery and onions in it. Sautéing the onions and celery before adding makes them soft. I’m gonna do sumthin different here next time.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Gonna have to try that, Haven't had any since I was a kid. Thanks!!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll print and put this with my recipes,Thanks ,Larry. Maybe I can get the wife to make a batch at Christmas.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That does sound good. Yup XMAS it will be. Thanks