CORNBREAD _ i luv it

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kyredneck, May 19, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    BAKED CORNBREAD for 10” skillet (cast iron's the best)

OVEN_Preheat to 390

SKILLET_pour in about a TBSP or more OLIVE OIL and heat on stove top while oven is getting hot (adjust heat/timing so that the oil is near smoking by the time the batter and oven are ready).

2 generous heaping cups CORNMEAL (I prefer yellow) in a mixing bowl

1/8 tsp SALT

1 generous overflowing TBSP OLIVE OIL

2 EGGS

12 oz can EVAPORATED MILK

Mix ingredients well and pour into hot skillet (oh, the smell and sound of sizzling cornbread batter).

Let batter sizzle on stove top while you rinse out the mixing bowl. Place skillet in oven and bake for 23 minutes. Enjoy.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Larry,I dont use that recipe,But I use that method. I heat the ole cast Iron skillet in the oven,mix the batter and pour it in,it starts frying the minuet it hits. Makes a great bottom crust and ,Well Heck I thought everybody made it like that :wink:

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea Richard, I think it is a common method. Hehe, I've done it so many times I can smell and hear the sizzling batter now.....

I just began cooking my cornbread in olive oil, and with olive oil also included in the batter, 5-6 years ago and everyone, including me, likes it. And it's healthy for you.

But sometimes I'll backslide and use bacon grease........

4. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    MMMM I loves me some cornbread, and bacon grease.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What! no sugar? :eek:oooh: I gotta have some sweet in mine. I have always used my Wagner too but never preheated it. I'll have to give that a try..:big_smile:

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THAT SOUNDS REAL GOOD I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT COOK THAT WAY BEFORE.MY WIFE PUTS CORN NUGGETS IN THE BATTER OF HER CORN BREAD ITS PRETTY GOOD.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's the way I cook mine too; but I use regular corn oil in it. I'll have to try the olive oil. And I DO put sugar in mine. Man, when you flip it out of the skillet, & it's hot, & you put butter on it.....mmmmm! I love the crusty part!

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heck yhea!!! I love cornbread any way ya fix it. Cher makes it with corn, sausage and jalipinos, sometimes Hot-water cornbread. I like it all:wink:

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    MAN I WOULD LIKE TO GET A RECIPE FOE SOME HOT WATER CORN BREAD I HAVEN'T HAD ANY SINCE MY GRANDPA PAST AWAY.HE KNEW HOW TO MAKE IT AND AT THE TIME I COULD NOT BOIL WATER AND DID NOT THINK ABOUT THINGS SUCH AS RECIPES.

10. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Thats the way its done Richard.

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
  12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You're gonna think this really odd, I guess it is; Cher i searched BOC for your hot water cornbread recipe, i remembered reading from a while back and I'm getting ready in just a few minutes to deep fry some flathead i cleaned yesterday and told my wife I wanted to have hot water cornbread instead of hushpuppies, she says get a recipe and yours is the one I thought of, and my recipe popped up along with yours......

ANYWAY, I've just now printed your recipe off for her. We're gonna try it. I know we'll like it; we like ALL cornbread. Thanks.

13. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    You are making me hungry. I LOVE corn bread. I have never used olive oil in it, although I do cook with olive oil. I preheat my skillet also, but I use butter or margarine , and no sugar. I also agree with the yellow corn meal. I like to get stone ground when I can find it, I like the texture better.

14. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Let me know how it turns out KY. :)

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What do you mean no sugar! lol :eek:oooh::smile2:

16. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    If I want mine sweet, it gets an extra dose of butter and then some honey poured over it. Man I am getting hungry now!

17. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    sounds good thanks for the post, my cuz makes his with cream of corn in the mix.

18. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Dont Forget to ADD BACON GREASE to your refried beans :wink:

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Excellent! I love the texture of it. We used Splenda instead of sugar; it would be good with no sweetener added to it, next time I'll try it that way.

20. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Larry, I am from Iowa and I even love cornbread. Can remember many a morning with Mom heating that skillet. Course some sidepork and fried eggs always went good with it too. And honey and lots of creamery butter dripping off as it you shove it in your mug.

We got plenty of corn in this state so it is not hard to find.