Corn

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jpn, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know some of you probably live where it is illegal to bait for deer. But here in NC it is very legal. I use mostly food plots now on the farm, but however i do mix corn with my supplimental feed in the the feed troughs. Just thought i might get a discussion on how yall feel about baiting, feeding, and food plots.The troughs we use are mostly in non huntable areas during the off season to ensure the deer have enough to keep healthy.

2. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    this is a very good i will be waiting to see all these answers
    i feed corn all year also threw time feeders and during hunting season we cant use it here in ga and ala . i think that it is very good for the deer and all the other animals in the wood food plot and supplymental feeding is a key part to the overall helth of all . because the amount of woods is rapidly decreasing with houseing and develoment that it helps off set the diffrence i also put out salt and minerals on my property..we maily bow hunt also ..if we were able to hunt over feed i think this would give the better shot placement now on the other had with guns thats not as much needed but i follow the rules no feeder hunting during hunting season. and we still get deer so i gess its ok that way to:smile2::roll_eyes::tounge_out::smile2::big_smile:

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use mostly corn at my place although last year after season i took the chainsaw to a thicket that was loosing the undergrowth due to block sunlight. i laid the big sweet gums on the ground and left the tops laying there for the honey suckle viens to grow on. i know the corn will bring the deer in from all around though. the last week of season last year i watch 10-12 does ever evening. i should of thinned them out but heck i got ot feeling sorry for them i guess and was just amazed to watch them and see who was boss of the herd....lol. now bucks on the other hand only showed up for about a 10 day period and then nothing for horns. less than half the bucks went to the corn too. to be honest i was amazed to see the bucks because i hadnt seen any of them all year. same thing this year but we saw 10-12 differnet bucks last year in those 10 days. alot of 1 1/2 year bucks and we let them walk after video taping the ones we could. let some walk that wasnt suppose to either...:smile2:

now in sask. canada they bait with oats alot. start a bait pile with a couple bails of alfafa sp? and the pour the oats around the bails. peas work good too up there. those deer sound like they eating marbels in that cold air from 50 yards away....lol.

4. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    somebody told me one time that they used alfalfa cubes. I tried it and it molded. The deer never even touched it so i quit with just the loss of one bag. But the new stuff hank parker sells works pretty well. :smile2:

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think it has alot to do with what the deer in a given area are use to. like i said in canada they will pull up and dump a 55 gallon barrel of oats and when the weather gets bad those deer will clean that up in one night. i also tried the cubes here and no good results but you go out west and the deer love it in the fields. i was told the alfalfa had a sweet smell to it and that draws the deer to the bait piles when starting one up but i do know for a fact they eat mostly the oats. of coarse everything feeds off that pile from magpies to coyotes, deer ,moose and elk is some places. hey try that stuff cmj puts out. just crawl up in his stand and see if you like in a couple hours....lol.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont look down on baiting. I think it has its place. Here in PA, until recently, only unethical hunters & poachers baited since it was illegal. Recently, in PA, The game commission legalized baiting on private land in our special regulation areas only. This was started since the special reg area's are too dangerous to use rifles & the deer population is too high. Years of special reg hunting & extended seasons didnt do anything to lower the deer population in suburbia, so now they're allowing baiting to aid hunters on private land.

7. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    this is a very good i will be waiting to see all these answers
    hoped to have a little better response to this. Just keep checking back, maybe it'll pick up a bit.

8. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Baiting....Ted Nugent put it very simply on a tv show recently.....
    All hunters use bait....a food plot is bait, corn is bait, deer lures are bait.

I have a hunting lease in KY and it is legal to use corn, etc as bait. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. Here in my state of Ga. it is illeagl to hunt over bait but you can grow food plots and hunt over them. It is perfectly legal to grow a field of corn, then knock it down for the deer and hunt over it but it is NOT legal to pour out a bag of corn on the ground and hunt over it. I do not see the difference. I see nothing wrong with baiting but I will abide by the rules of each area.

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Its illegal in Va. Food plots are ok, but you cant just throw 50 pounds of cracked corn out and wait for em. I look down on the matter. It takes the chase and sport out of the hunt..if you could call it that. no offense.

10. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    From most states where it is illegal to hunt over bait a lot of people from these states look down on people where it is legal we should not knock other for their hunting ethics here in NC where I live it is legal to bait deer but I don't hunt here but I hunt in Chester SC where it is illegal to bait but it is legal to plant food plots. The land I hunt it is so thick with pine trees and briers and over grown brush it is all most impossible to see a deer unless you hunt on one of the old logging roads where we plant our food plots.In the lower part of SC where my son hunts it is legal to bait it also legal to run deer with dogs because of the swamp land. Rattle Snakes Cottonmouth Copperheads and Alligators it almost impossible to hunt with out bait or dogs.

11. mcclinj

mcclinj New Member

State:
    Ligonier, PA
    In Pennsylvania all bait must be removed 30 days prior to the start of the season.

-John

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i do believe in the ethical supplemental feeding of a deer herd. i also think dog hunting deer is a dieing art. ppl who havent tried it tend to knock it hard, but it is more about the dogs than the deer. i dont hunt over bait, never have. but i do feed the deer all year long. corn is great but it lacks some of the nutritional value of other foods. i like to keep it diverse, field peas-food plots-corn-apples-sweet potatoes-all kinds of stuff.

i do think the biggest way to improve your deer pop. and health is to maintain your land and manage your harvest. there is nothing that draws deer better than well taken care of woods. also i am not fond of motorized traffic. walking 1/8 to 1 1/2 miles to your stand can be a real pain, but the number of deer that become comfortable on your property will increase.

j.d.

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont think baiting really gives that big of advantage why because deer arent stupid and they usually hit these areas at night under safety. Here in Iowa no baiting is allowed but go figure they allow food plots whats the difference? But I know plenty of farmers who have feed bunks out where they feed their "cattle" wink wink and get away with it !!! I like going one on one with the game Im chasing. My daughter when she took up bow hunting kinda set me to thinking with the remark "I want to deer hunt with a bow anyone can pull a trigger at a deer 100 yards away!!! How many can get within 15 yards and make a successful harvest?" Kinda makes you think dont it?:sad2:

14. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Just cause you put out some corn, does'nt mean that your gonna shoot a deer, or even see a deer. NOw if you sit under an oak tree that's droppin acorns, your huntin over bait. Bait is bait. So is huntin over a food plot, somebody had to plant it. It did'nt grow there by it self.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We have row crop on the farm. It makes no sense to take corn and dump it in the woods.
    When you feed them in the bedroom they dont have to go to the kitchen.
    Deer are nocturnal animals. If you take the travel time to and from a stable food source out of the equation you are limiting your deer sightings.

We get our best oppertunities to take deer when they are enroute to or from a food source such as a corn or bean field. The trails are easy to spot and I prefer to set up on trail junctions. I never hunt rub and scrape lines.

I wouldnt put a feeder in the woods either. You have to go into the woods to keep it filled.
    I live by stay out of the woods.
    The mature deer just aren't going to put up with high traffic in their sanctuary. They'll move out.
    The only time I would venture into the woods is if I was enroute to a lock on and then I take my time.

My lock ons always stay in the woods. I never take them out.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think the main difference between "baiting" and food plots is the concentration of the feed. An oak tree doesnt drop all its nuts in one pile and a field of clover is a whole field. With a food plot or natural food the deer have more room to feed instead of being on top of each other. Someone dumping a bag or truckload usually does just dump it in one huge pile. IMHO, most baiting is illegal because of the risk of disease being spread not hunting ethics. Many people believe that is how CWD got so bad in some states.

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    CWD is the main reason here in Il. That comes from DNR, Altho CWD has and will be around for a long time, I think it is part of nature that has been "hyped" in the media past few years, just my $0.01 worth.

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i always find it worked better to spread the corn out myself. you put it in a big pile and they will fight over it and keep the others run out. if you get some rain before they find it....well it will mildew if piled up and then you can forget it. always worked better to spread it out for me. i even take my foot and spread the smaller piles out after slinging it out of the bag. i like to setup on a trail leading to the bait also for bigger bucks. they know better than to come into a bait pile in daylight hours. one of my best bucks i have taken was with this method. i saw him a hour before i got the shot. he just stood around in a thicket watching some does in the corn that i never knew was there until i shot. i seen them run off. i was setup a 150 yards off the bait on a good trail. even in canada those big bucks wont let them hot does come to the bait pile. too much competion running around for that to happen.:wink: im with yal on the cwd though. its the number one way its carried out from one deer to another through a food source. with alot of deer coming to one area to feed it could be bad esp. in areas where the deer really herd up in the late winter.

19. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    We use to take a large can of sweet corn,and punch small holes in it,then put it in the river or lake where we intended to catfish about a week later. We'd go back in a week or so,and catch catfish where we had put the can of sweet corn! An old friend showed me this baiting method,I guess it's been 12 year ago now.:0a18:

20. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's alot of misconception about so called "baiting". For one, corn is not as nutritionally complete as some people will think it is, at least not for the deer and thier requirements. The one thing about pouring corn out for the deer, is if they aren't going through that area, then they won't find it. You have to put it on a trail were the deer are traveling. If they're traveling, then that means they are feeding on what is already there to begin with. All putting feed out does is to pick the spot for them to stop and give you a humane shot.

I've put corn out quite a bit, mostly just to help suppliment thier forage on years were it is quite slim. I've even poured it out in piles, and watched them rod as the acorns and other forage started fallling. No matter what we put out there, deer still have thier favorite "natural" forage that they will go to if given the choice.

There's nothing unethical about feeding the wildlife. If you happen to shoot a deer over a feeder, then chances are you could have shot them if the feeder wasn't there. About the only exception would be food plots. After they've been there awhile, then the deer tend to rely on them and you can time when they're going to be there.