Corn

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by samh, Jul 2, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Started pick'n corn this morning at 8 AM, then went to shuck'n and silk'n, with the wife cook'n, cut'n, can'n and freeze'n it as I got it ready, best I can tell we did about 600+ ears today, sent a few more to my Mom and one of my sisters, got over 6 of 14 rows today. Start again in the morning. Its some of the best Funk's G-90 we've ever put up, but there sure is a lot of it. Also picked the first mess of okra today.

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    600 ears??? Good gosh, Sam!! Now that's what we need to see pictures of!!:smile2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont grow corn Sam but the rest of mine is doing good, in spite of a hailstorm we had last week, i'll be cutting okra tomorrow or the next day also.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've still got a couple of weeks left before mine will be ready, their starting to fill out. We usually average about 600-900 ears on 14 rows, 30 ft long. This year may be lower. The dry spell we had seems to have caused quite a few stalks with no ears.

Did get our first real picking on beans, today. Got up before daylight and picked enough to freeze up 5 one gallon bags.

Got our first tomato June 27th this year. My record here is June 26th, so I almost beat it.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ooops, make that 36 ft rows of corn.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Live in Iowa and corn will be a little while yet. Used to grow and can a lot. So many local people grow it and sell off the back of their trucks it is much easier to just stop and buy from them. It can be very reasonable, and yapping with them can be fun. My question though is--I have Okra growing for the first time this year. Was growing it for my brother, but we have had a falling out since our Mother died this spring. You know how that can go. Since I am going to inherit the whole crop how do you folks eat and put up this stuff. I don't like it slimy, so how do you cook it. John.

7. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Fry it up crisp John.....slice it and bread it in cornmeal and/or flour, a little salt and maybe a touch of garlic, ain't nuthin like it!!! Good stuff!

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    If something ain't good rolled in batter and fried, it ain't fit to eat anyway. Fry'n the best by a long shot, but you can boil it too, tastes ok, but you don't want to look at it, kind'a like eat'n out of a bowl of slime. My wife cans some pickled with garlic, good stuff.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John, I like ti pickle mine I just use a Dill picle recipe an add a few jalapenos for bite mmm , we also fry it breaded in cornmeal

10. wirehead80

wirehead80 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Alright who's going to be sending me some of that there okra? I cant get it to grow for anything in my garden. Tried for 3 years and it doesn't get but 3-4 per plant and I'm having withdraws.

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    You sound like my nephew, he was sentenced to 3 years by the agri chemical company worked for to Fort Dodge, Iowa. Said he met a lot of great folks there, but the winters were rough on a southern boy. Every time his folks went to see him he had me send him all the okra I could get along with them. Said folks up there didn't even know what okra was. When he got transferred down to Memphis he said he knew he was home, cause the eat'n places there had okra on their menus.

12. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    try 4 or 5 pods sliced thin browned in butter, then scramble some eggs with it, makes a good breakfast.--shu

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Myron: Did you see where they found that new orchid out west?

14. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    No i haven't heard about a new orchid. thanks for letting me know i'll start the search now.--shu

15. FLETCH

FLETCH Member

State:
    Villisca Iowa
    Name:
    Ron
    It's going to be a little while for the corn down here in sw Iowa with over six inches of snow and 6 degree weather but I bet ya this year's going to be a good melon year with all the moisture. Glad ya liked the melon pic it weighed 40 lbs. have a good one post beetle.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    aint nothing better than fresh fried okra.