Corn

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by samh, Jun 10, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
  2. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Sorry Sam, Looks bad and I know it hurts-Ya wait all year to get a crop & mother nature checks your stamina in 10 minutes. Then people pee & moan because food prices go up.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That's heartbreaking. I know, it's happened too many times to me.
    Luckily, in my case, I was able to stand it back up and tamp the soil down around the corn and most of it still lived on to produce.
    In 93, our rains were so bad that I could stand in the ruts going through my garden, with the ground coming up to over my knees.

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sam, as many pictures as you've posted, I have to admit those are the saddest. So sorry about this. We've had some pretty strong winds this year, but then, we don't farm like you do. I sure hope you can salvage some of it; nothing like good fresh corn. Keep us posted on how it goes...

5. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Might stand back up enough to pollinate. I've seen bad stuff like that. I live on a farm myself although I do not farm since my teen years with my dad.

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    It'll still make some corn, just a question of how much. About 1/4 of it's still standing, about 1/4 half down and 1/2 pretty flat. As tall as it was I don't figure there's much chance of it straight'n much, if any. As soon as it dries up enough I'm go'n to plant some more for back-up. We freeze and can a lot of corn. I picked and the wife canned about 40 qts of green beans today, made a big batch of kraut a couple of weeks ago. Got squash and cucumbers out the wazoo, just wait'n on the maters,okra and shell beans.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you busy...even without all the corn! But I sure hope you get to put some more out. We're lucky in that we have a friend here that works at a university ag center; he gets us all the sweet corn we want! We've already put up quite a bit, with more coming soon.