Corn growing

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Scott Daw, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im in PA zone 6. I planted sweet corn but I think its vertically challenged. its only 3 feet high. its got its tassles up top and 1 ear on each plant. what gives? i have it planted beside wax beans in a raised bed. that was top soil, manure and leaf mulch. it's near a tree so you can kinda call it partial shade.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Scott, one word, Ammonia Nitrate. Actually that is two words, but here in KY it's one word pronounced Monianitrate. Vern

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    How many plants/ rows did you plant?? Because I have heard that it needs at least 4 rows short rows not in 1 or 2 long rows as it cannot pollinate properly.

And like Vlparrish Said When the plants are about 2 feet tall, apply 1 cup of fertilizer 10-10-10 for each 10 feet of garden row. Scatter the fertilizer evenly between the rows. Mix it lightly with the soil. Water after fertilizing.

Hope this helps.

Now I have a Question about Corn as Well has anyone had to stake there corn plants because they all fell over because of too much rain??

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    is miracle grow good enough?

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The tree is your problem. Trees take all the moister out of the ground around them. Plants planted near or around trees need to be watered regularly. It is to late to do anything about it now but, keep that in mind for the next time. The plant has already put out ears and tassles, so it has determined what it is going to do allready!!!

PS Corn needs full sun also!!!

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry lad, you ain't gonna get much ethanol from that crop. Dreadnaught has the ticket. Full sun, plenty of heat and no trees.

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    That is what I use however it is the tomato formula because I have 52 tomato plants and it would be hard to keep them seperated.

Imo it should be fine.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i started out with 20 seedlings planted in 3 rows due to space but the tree rats raided my little garden and left me with cluster of only 8.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you are driving down the road sometime and come upon a corn field with a tree line, take a close look at what the corn looks like along the tree line compared to the rest of the field. You will notice a big difference.

I am afraid your corn has done all it is going to do as far as getting any taller. No amount of fertilizer will change it now.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Corn on the otherhand, makes up it's mind how tall,what size ear and, how many ears, when it is about 16in. tall (about 3 wks from sprout). Rain, heat, and sunshine have alot to do with what it decides at that time.

Tomato's are a non-determinant plant , where corn is a determinant plant, this is the difference. And is also why you can feed tomato plants as they grow.

PS. When I ain't fish'n or on here..... I work on a farm....(no animals)

11. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    try planting in full sun next time ithink u will have better luck next time . i would try to stay as far away from trees as icould . dont be afraid to put the fertilizer to it as corn loves nitrogen:wink:

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    The way I work the corn field here in Georgia.
    Root slicer the whole field around the edges real good.
    Turn it

Disk it untill its powder

Roto till tractor pto

plant it

cultivate

work it

In dry times I use mircle grow 30 15 10 and a sprayer, in wetter times I us just dry fertilizer 10 10 10 to start then, am nitrate

Then I sit on the back porch with my .300 weatherby magnum and pick my shot.
    Tenderloins and saw mill gravey.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lots of sun an d no trees !!!!!!

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Isnt a .300 a bit much for deer? I havent shot one but have "heard" that its a bit much. It'll reach out and touch someone when asked to and shoots flat. Just wondering.

Also how do you make saw mill gravy. I've heard of it but never had it.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've bout give up on sweet corn on account of the coons, Japanese beetles, and deer. I do know that corn is a heavy feeder and requires lots of fertilizer, water, and sunlight to make good. Also some of those 'extra sweet' hybrids with the E.H. factor are not tolerant to any sort of adverse conditions.

16. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

I use artillery if I could Yea. its a big old good one like, 223 reload would say.

at three bucks a pop i will not:wink: use it on the jap beetles, maybe hand to hand and kbar

17. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Saw mill gravy
    After frying your tenderloins, pour off all but about 6 to 7 table spoons of drippings.
    Mix well the flour and brown, added milk and allow to come a boil.
    added braised ground deer,beef or pork.

simmer

take off heat after it thickins

yummy

18. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    wow thats sos ou need a shingle thanks Sam DAVIS

19. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

yes sir
    Its good on tender loins. Give it a try if the chance comes by.Id bet youll like it.:smile2:

20. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I have all ways been taught to plant by the signs, If you plant on certin days it could be a good crop or a bad one. I will atempt to copy the guide and post it, you will need to get a good calendar.

good for all lifes things huntin and fishin