corn furnace

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bearcat, Dec 19, 2007.

1. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Got my corn furnace installed and fired up yesterday. My house has hot water base board heat. The furnace is a water boiler and will heat all my domestic hot water also. So far it seems to be working great. Will have to see how it is after a week. It dont seem to burn much corn yet, which is what it is suposed to do. I was on LP. With the cost of it rising I can cover the intial invest of the stove in 3 years.

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Friend of mine got one and is saving BIG $$$$$. He loves it. I wonder if they make one that hooks into a gas furnace? Where I could shut the gas off and use the blower.
    Bill

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    is there anywhere i can ffind out more info on this corn furnace. its the first i have ever heard of it.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sgt. I will see if the paperwork is still at my uncs and shoot you a pm if it is.He is thinking bout getting one and I am also.They sell them at our local farmstore.Anyone out there using them put up what you think bout em.I feel they are a investment but the stubborn ole man says he sees the corn prices giong out the roof cause all the bio d. so we have a debate giong and well them ole men are stubborn as all get out:eek:oooh: Us young pups we knows it all so thats where I am at on this

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i am curious to know how much corn it burns annually. if it isnt to much, i would like to get one for my folks. my grnadparents have 6 acres and we grom corn on them. i dont know if we co0uld produce enough corn to keep it going all winter, but every little bit helps.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Corn stoves have been around forever.
    A store around here had one in it that was a probally over a 100 years old and still in use.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My ma had a cook stove we had to keep primed with corn cobs. When she wanted a special fire for something she was cooking, in went the whole kernels with the cobs. A corn furnace will give you good heat in a confined area. My experience with them around here is they can be tough to heat a whole house or a larger house.

Besides with global warming you won't have to worry about it much longer.

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    My furnace is a A-Mazing-heat brand furnace. It will put out up to 150,000 BTUs. I have it set at the 100,000 btu level. It uses between 1 to 2 bushels a day. Depends on how cold it is. It is a hot water boiler. The same company makes a hot air style furnace to hook directly to your regular heater ducts.

I turned my LP furnace down so it wont come on and heat unless there is a malfuntion with the corn furnace.

Not being able to heat a whole house , you must be talking about a small unit that is self contained. The one I got is a full house furnace that is completly replacing my regular LP furnace.

Corn produces around 9000 btus per pound. There are 56 lbs in a bushel. A bushel of corn is equivalant to about 4 gallon of LP. LP at 2 dollars a gallon , in my area, makes my corn worth 8 dollars a bushel.

If you figure 1.5 bushels a day with 160 days needing heat that would work out to 240 bushels a year. Plus I get my domestic water heated also. With 3 daughters showers are hard on the LP for the water heater. I still wonder what takes them so long.

To find more in formation type in corn furance on goolge . There are all kinds that come up. Look for the AMAZING Heat brand.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tim I can tell you this I have two little girls and it takes them ferevr to it is a female thing we males :wink:shall nevr understand

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Corn cribs may come back in style.:smile2:

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like the idea of being able to grow my fuel for the winter, and also for my freezer. The local pawnshop has one, and he heats an extremely large area with his. Later Andy

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i hear ya. im sitting next to a wood stove now in the shop and one going in the house. lp is just getting to high along with all the gas.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I think were going to look into one that will burn corn and pellets. AS looks like corn is going to be so high most can not burn it. Shoot your looking at close to $10. per day to heat here with corn.
    pete