Corn Burner

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jailcop2, Oct 21, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Finally got my corn burner the other day . We live in a 1300 sq ft 2 story home here in Iowa . I went to Imogene Ag Inc. to look at the burners they had for sale , I just hate the thought of giving the gas company anymore $ than I have to ,but thats another story . We ended up getting the smallest unit they had , rated to 30,000 btu and large enough to heat 1500 sq ft . This thing is remarkable , on the lowest setting in 40 degree weather we almost have to ,and have open'd up windows , our only concern was the up stairs . So far it has been raising the temp on the second floor to an average of 72 degree's , with our gas furnace it would be doing good to get to 64 . We were some skepticl at first , but that is gone now , and with the support we have been getting from George and his people where we bought the thing it has been a great experience .

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    what does it burn shelled corn or fuel made from corn

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    They burn shelled corn , dried down to 14% or less . should save half to a 3rd in fuel costs .

4. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well thats cool i may have to do a little checking into this cause any money saved is alot around here

5. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've got a friend that's got one,I was kinda skeptical when he said he had one but when I went in his home I was amazed at how much heat it puts out.He owns an old farm house and man was it warm inside.

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    The real test will be when we get some zero weather .

7. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well keep us posted on how it does i for one am really interested

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Did you get on that hooked to your furnace so the blower works? My I be nosey and ask what it cost? Are you buying the corn from a elavator? I heat with natural gas and the bills as you know are BIG$$$$$$$.
    Bill

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Ours is a free standing unit . so it is not hooked into the furnace , about $1600 for the stove . They do have models that will fit into your plentum , and full funaces . We buy our corn from the people we bought the stove from . They will get all my buisness for providing such good service .

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    shoot i like the ideal of this thing. you could deer hunt over the top of the furnace. stay warm and got plenty of bait. sounds good! thanks for sharing. i have never heard of them before.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Last winter was my first year with a pellet stove..........I test ran the gas furnace twice(test it) and that was it for the year. I can feed about 25% corn in mine and it works great. Jailcop, I'm sure you will love yours this winter(fans in key locations help), especially when you get your gas bill:smile2:

12. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I never heard of a corn burner before keep us up to date on how it works out.
    :big_smile:

13. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    So far so good , got down to about 25 here last night , fan was set on hi , corn feed on 5 [ goes to 10 ] , upstairs was 71 , down stairs was 75 . We did put a heat riser to one bedroom , and opened up a 4 x 3 hole in the wall between living room and kitchen . Will keep updated .

14. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i'm assuming you have a hopper on the back that you fill up with corn. then there is a small auger or somthing that takes from the hopper to the stove to be burnt.my question is when your electric goes out can you manuelly feed the corn .or is it useless till the electric comes back on.also the blower on the fireplace wont work so is the radiant heat similiar to radiant heat from wood.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Corn burners have been around for years and years. Most that I've seen were in old country stores in the politicing area away from the register and were home made.
    There is also pellet stoves. Those work well as long as the pellet supply holds up or you are able to buy by the ton.

What I want to see is waste oil heaters designed for and approved for home use. Waste oil burns clean with an ash byproduct that is inert. You can scatter the ashes across the yard with no ill effects to the grass or the enviroment.
    Only 3% of the nation's waste oil is used for heating purposes. This leaves room for the potential market explosion for waste oil. Factories with converted boilers and process line heating are the current largest users.

Currently shop models are available and are expensive and plans for a 40 dollar model made from an old electric water heater are available free from Mother Earth News. I found the plan online.
    This plan works well if you spend some time with it fine tuning it.
    The inherit problem with the plan stems from fuel feed. Oil flows at different rates at different viscosities. The viscosity of oil changes as it heats up so your slow drip turns into a fast drip. A little backyard engineering and thought will fix this problem.