Corn Burner

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jailcop2, Jul 22, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Has enyone tried a corn / pellet burning stove ? Gasoline prices are'nt the only gas prices that have gone out of sight . We looked at one today , seems darn fine if I can get the heat upstairs .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have heard they work really well. I just don't know how they justify the price. Costs more than a good gas furnace.

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    My people are hill people .............. anything is possible .
    Brian

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They been around for years. Way before I was born. Some of the old stores around here heat with them

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    my dad has a corn burning stove and it works great... he used to use fuel oil but gas prices are way too high for that

but they could save u a ton of money and they work great and heat very well....

if u would like more info on these please just PM me

Jeff

6. Slammer

Slammer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, I have 2 of them. I haven't used 400 gallons of LP in 2 years. Normally use 700 g. or more per year. Love the constant heat, but you need space to store the corn. I go through about 220 bushels a year. Cost approx. $450. a year. :smile2: Looking for the price to go up though. We have 2 or 3 ethenol plants going up in our area. Time will tell.

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Never heard of the heaters, but i've seen shine put into trucks on TV. You can buy a special still and make it your self to run on your vechicals. You have to go through special paper work thoughsaying that you won't sell it, or drink it.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Making your own fuel for cars would never fly in NC. They couldnt tax the heck out of it at the pump.
    If I set a fuel tank on the farm that non highway taxed fuel is put into for tractors or other off road equipment I would have to account for where the fuel goes. If I got caught putting it in a car or truck, I'd be in deep trouble facing huge fines and possible jail. Nope, the DMV checks fuel here, particurly in trucks. If it aint the right color you got some splainin to do.
    Its a shame they dont treat crackheads and thieves the same way.

Any alternative fuel product is going to be expensive out of the pocket.
    I like the idea of the waste oil heaters for a shop or barn but a simple hanging heater with a fan like you see that run off LP or NG are thousands of dollars instead of hundreds. By the way, less then 3% of waste oil in this country is used for heating purposes.:confused2:

You can get alot of things dual fuel.
    I had a truck that ran on propane and gas. Flip a switch while driving and go from one tank to the other. That was installed during the early 80's because pump gas prices were on the rise.

Heat pumps are now dual fuel. When the temperature drops to the point the heat pump has to bring on an auxillary heat source you have a choice, gas or electric. Only problem is, when you buy you are stuck with one or the other.

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They're not exactly "low maintenance"... you have to keep after them just like a fireplace...:eek:oooh: