Cormorant at Lake Wateree

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by RiverratSC, Apr 15, 2007.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I was down at Wateree on April 2 for some birthday fishing. I saw something that bothered me greatly. I hadn't posted it before because I was blewn away by it.

While we were anchored down just below the island where people party, I saw cormorant. They were at least 100 of them in this pack as they made they're way down the river. I watched 5 or 6 dive and come back up with what appeared to be large crappie. I mean crappie knocking at the pound or so mark. 5 or 6 would go down and if they came up with something several from behind would fly ahead of them and dive. They done this for about 30 minutes moving down the river bank. I saw them catch at least 40 big silver fish not all looked to be crappie but most did. If they are eating that many fish with just 100 birds they are hurting the lake with the thousands you see flying downstream at daylight. Its terrible in my opinion.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It's a huge problem on all the lakes around here and in places all over the country, Thomas. I know DNR is concerned about it to some degree, but those freeloaders are protected by federal law, and it takes forever if at all to get permission to do anything about their numbers....legally, at least.:angry:

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't understand why in the blue he!! they would be protected. They out number every bird on the lake 10 to 1.

4. Santee

Santee New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I've seen them shot before and it leaves a grease slick on the water. Worthless birds. Would take enjoyment on easing the problem. I have seen them eating flat fish myself. They are everywhere on Santee. I don't know if they have a predator. I'd like to become one.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They have been directly linked to wiping out the fish in Lake Ontario in NY. When they would release the restocking fish they would estimate losing 95% of them to comrotaes. They had devise a special boat that drives around in the lake and slowly releases fish. The fecies is very acidic and has been documented for totally leaving roosting spots baren and nothing can grow there. I know the dnr(biologist)are conducting a study on them but like Tommy said they are fedreally protected. Somewhere there is a country that probably worships them therfore we cant kill them.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I bet they are a source of disease...nasty looking birds. They really need to look at some way to thin down the population. Not to mention the Canadian Geese. That is a fine looking bird but too many of them and they have changed their hoime range to the South. #4 shot should encourage migration back to whence they came:big_smile:

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If you're at Cedar Creek at daybreak you see over a thousand flying downstream so that would be the time to .....encourage them to leave.

8. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    ive noticed these birds and there are tons of them if they are hurting the fish populations they need to be killed out or managed greatly ! if you think wateree has alot you need to go duck hunting on bodie island NC this past year i counted 1000s !

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    "the feces is very acidic"

I read on another web site that on Texas lakes the catfishermen look for where they roost over water to catfish.

10. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Can you give us an address to that site? If that is the case I've got a honey hole right near my house. I know where about 200 roost every day. Would make sense but I'd like to read it a little.

11. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have been told, never, ever, seen it myself :big_smile: , that they will explode when hit at a reasonable distance with 12ga high brass 4's, 5's, or 6's.

12. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Thanks for the help Indigo.

13. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I hate those damn birds, they are a big problem here in California too. In California they seem to do most of their damage to the trout population. There numbers seem to be on the rise too. I made the mistake of parking under a tree one night when I was catfishing at a nearby lake, when I came back to my truck it looked like someone had thrown a bunch of white paint all over my truck. I looked up in the tree and there were about 20-30 comorants roosting in the tree, they had unloaded on my truck, it was not a pretty site.

I have seen one get taken out by a Peregrine falcon but comorants are such big birds that I don't think much really preys on them. Maybe an eagle or a hawk might take one out but not very often I'm afraid. I certainly would like to see something done about these birds but who knows if that will ever happen.

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post.....
    We need to get something going at the national level to change their status here in the United States....They pretty much hit all the local pay lakes and eat up what is put there for the sportsman to fish for ....

In the ocean they do the same...... They are in the catagory of the seals, that are also protected..... It urks me to see seals taking a catch away from an angler when the fish is brought to the boat.... In the old days...the carbine was used to keep them in their place and is not allowed now..... We need to do something about the cormorant problem....They feed on every and all of the fish in a system....

bayrunner ray

15. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    You are right Ray, it is a national problem that needs to be dealt with and why they are protected is beyond me. My question is...what is it going to take before it is recognized as a problem and action is taken? Hopefully when action finaly is taken it won't be too late.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'd love the chance to see that for myself.

17. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I don't know about Texas but the power towers that cross Parr resivior roost hundreds and channel cats stay under them . But you need to anchor up wind or have a disposable top for your boat.