Corkin Monster Channels

Discussion in 'CANADIAN CATFISH' started by CaptainBrad, Sep 24, 2009.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The question was brought up in another forum about catching catfish on bobbers. First off many people think catfish are slow and won't chase a moving bait. Much of the time this is true (with channels) but it is often overlooked that they will aggressively surface feed and when they do, hang on.

It is just out of this world when channel cats surface feed. There is nothing like seeing a 20+ pound catfish slam a goldeye on the surface and fly out of the water. Typically this happens during pre-spawn or on a hot summer night as the daytime temps are cooling off. This is the best time to break out the floats and have some fun.

To rig up a shallow float all I do is thread a big slip bobber onto my line. Then tie on a swivel with a lighter snell under it. This is to ensure I get my bobber back should the hook get caught up in a rock. I can simply break loose, put on a new hook and go back fishing. to set the depth I just use a small split shot on top of the bobber to hold it in place. If you are fishing more than about 4 feet you will have to use a bobber stop but in shallow shot works better and is quicker to adjust. For weight to keep the hook down I just put a 1/4 oz split shot above the swivel. Because the current is moving the bait you only need enough weight to get the bober to stand up the bait will move with the water keeping it in the zone.

We all know that catfish roam and feed shallow at night or in lower light. This the the prime time to float fish. All you do is find shallow water near deeper water (preferrably with a hump or rock pile on it) anchor up shallow along side of the spot and start casting working the bobber and bait along side, over and around the hump to find where the active fish are sitting. If they are there you will know in a big hurry.

I have made it a point to hit the bobber spots at sundown just to see if they are there. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. I usually give the spot 10 minutes to see if they are going to go. If they are there you will have one in 30 seconds to 2 minutes, if not don't waste the time.

Bobbers for channels are about as good as it gets. It is a lot of work but totally worth it for the rush of a 12" cork flushing into the depths of a raging river.