Cork handles

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by wayne1967, Aug 29, 2007.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone out there dislike cork handles on a rod like I do?

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Why do you dislike them?Are you talking about the very expensive true cork,or the the chips that are glued together like particle board? I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    me too, Wayne. i prefer foam, or a like material as it cleans better.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Personally I'd rather have the cork.

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mine never seem to hold up. Also seem to be slick if your hands are wet or muddy. maybe I've always got cheap ones.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i dont just because it gets tore up faster than the eva. i left the plastic on my whupping stick to save the cork because the rod holders i use but its starting to rip off. i fear the corks gonna be gone about this time next year.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I've been useing cork handles for 30 yrs and have not had one fall apart on me yet,, You guys must throw your equipment around way to much,

I have my custom Cork AND Ash handles double flexed coated, Sounds like they would be too slick when wet.naw. You get a 50 lb fish on and I can guarantee it will not slip out of your hands:smile2::smile2:,,and they clean up with ease andlast a lifetime.

And the colored burl cork they are even tougher than the rest, IMO.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    sorry about the quick reply, But I tried to get it on the other post,

I do know if you use rod holders , your cork will get messed up after awhile. but they do last if you take care of your Eq,:cool2:

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive never really seen the need for cork but it does look pretty. Ive got one rod with cork a b@ss pro bionic blade for b@ss and bluegill. I hope its the good cork.

10. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    I prefer cork. It seems to be lighter and gives a better grip. It is true that the surface can get slightly dirty, but a foam handle gathers and holds that dirt and dingy water deep down inside it. Next time it gets damp squuze that sucker like a sponge and watch it ooze out.

11. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well this wont help much i have both and they both work fine the cork does look nicer then the foam but they have both held up fine the foam does grip and clean better, i think

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    You Have It RIGHT Kenny!!!! Cork is KING in this Old Boy's Book.J.D.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I prefer cork as well, I also have rods with foam handles and they are more durable but they don't look nearly as nice.

14. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i prefer the cork handles also!

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Orignally i prefered the Eva handles. But i have to come to love the cork handles they seem a bit more softer and comftorable to hold. Could be just me but i think the cork transmits hits more accurately but i can't prove that. Of course they will get dirty and stained after a while. In a way it gives it more character sorta of like stained wood.(lol) The Eva handles are tougher though but they also trap more of the smell, stains and orders than the cork as some one else earlier said in my opinion.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well I also have both and I like the cork better, and I think the cork is easier to clean myself, just a mild detergent and a soft scrub they clean right up, you can always tell the cheaper cork too by looking at how much filler they have to use in the finished handle.....But I have been wandering about the "grip wrap" seen a fella one day had it on every rod both cork and foam, is there something to that stuff, or just more for "stylin and profile'n"

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Wecome to the BOC Nate , and I could not have said it any better than yourself, good post :cool2:IMO