Cork handles

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by riverratokie, Jun 13, 2009.

1. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    How does everyone keep their cork handles in good shape?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I personally don,t prefer cork handles for cattin.Too hard to keep clean.I like something I can scrub the slime off a couple times a month.The ones I do have with cork,I just scrub em the same way,then when I put them away for the season,I sand em down lightly with a little 400 grit sandpaper,a couple hits has em looking like new.:wink:

3. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i wont use a cork for catfishing i think they just wear out too easily

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I like using cork handles. I usally take the rod and wrap it in a soapy wet towel and leave it for an hour over the kitchen sink. The soapy water will loosen all the shad scales. Then I take a real sharp fillet knife and scrape the scales away. After that i use a green scouring pad and clean the rest of the handle. Just let the rod dry and it looks brand new. I usally do this once a year. I have top end rods and try taking care of them. Thats one of the best ways of getting rid of all the shad scales.

5. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Welcome Danny; Try U-40 cork seal, its a brush on or wipe on with a towel urathane base sealer 1 treatment will last forever, if you cant find this I can get it for you. Hope this helps alot of fisherman love cork.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a lot of rods in my collection and almost all have cork handles. I like the classy appearence of cork. When the cork starts getting dirty I just run under warm water, squirt on a little dish soap and scrub gently with a scour pad. Looks like new when done! :big_smile:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    To all fishermen who use cork; What Leland has said in is post his dead on,,,Apply on clean dry cork ,1 good even coat and let dry/soak into the cork..It will stop all the nasty stuff from staying on your handles.:wink:

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I just don't clean mine:smile2: Don't really bother me too much to have some shad scales on the handle and I'm certainly not trying to win any beauty contests(one look at me and that's pretty obvious:wink:). I think the EVA gets nastier than the cork does but the EVA doesn't wear out as bad from having them in and out of rod holders all the time.

9. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I love cork handles

10. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Thanks guys for all the input. I love a good cork handle and wanna keep it that way.

11. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    What the hell does , tpo keep my hands clean mean, is this text talk ?

12. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Im with you on this one. You can look at my poles and tell they have been well used. Wouldnt have it any other way. I only fish with cork handled poles too, and I have been using the same 3 poles for over 10 years. No problem with the cork wearing out at all. They sure as hell look like catfish poles though I can tell you that