Cork drifting for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tomcat85, Dec 19, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    just wondering who does this for channels and oh well it works. i was reading in a book and it said drifting the bait to a hole is a good tactic for channels. just wondering how well it works for you all ive never done it.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    not sure what your talking about with the cork. if your referring to using a cork on your leader line well that is a deadly method to use on channel cats. i catch sometimes 25-30 in 5-6 hours trying to catch blues but sometimes the channels are to fast for the blues, so channels it is. just keep it on the bottom and drift with the wind or trolling motor. wind works best for me.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i was talking about a slip bobber/cork haha you think itll work in a creek?

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I slip float for channels in the river below a dam here . it works vary well . Just be sure to wait until you feel the fish to set the hook, you will have a lot of slack line out.I start with the bait close to the top and work down until I find where they are feeding. the water where I float is 18 ft deep most of the time I find the fish in the top 4 ft.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks dale should i wait for the bobber to go under for when i set the hook? also how big of channels have you gotten using this method?

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Wait for the bobber to go under and when you feel the tension/ tight line before you set the hook.

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    bluehunter is right wait until you feel them . I have caught channels up to 22 # floating. I also float for Flatheads. I have taken them up to 50#floating

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    awesome thank you dale cant wait to try it out!

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Channels with often take the float under, then let it pop back up serveral times. Watch and make sure that the bait has been taken before setting the hook.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It presents a natural presentation of the bait. It is normal for a cat to see food floating down with the current and/or being bounced along the bottom by the current.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I caught lots of channels on floats. I love seeing the float go under.

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i cant wait to try out this technique it seems like itll really help me get into spots that are hard to get to.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    ya it will tom.

14. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    I've had this problem lately, but they never actually fully take it. They just pop it a couple times.. and the nothing... pretty damn annoying.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

It could be gar or turtles, both will do that and release if they feel the slightest pressure.