Cord for slinky or snake weighs

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Mac-b, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Do any of the BOC members have a source for cord that could be used to make slinky or snake weighs. If so, please post or send me a PM, I need some to start making my own weighs. Thanks for your reply.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mac if you go to the search and pull up the threads there were several sources listed over time.I like the climbing rope you can buy at outdoor stores.I have found that 000 buckshot is my favorite size and you can buy that from Cabelas.Most folks like parachute cord but it is to thin for my taste and abrades quickly and you cant get 00/000 buck in it very easily so they tend to make longer weight which I dont like.PM me an address and I'll send you a sample of the rope I use.:smile2:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    What length per weight do you get out of the cord?
    I may try some also.
    Pete

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    used to be a post on the old board one of the brothers was using shrink tubing instead of cord, looked pretty slick.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Yeah, that's what I was gonna say...I don't use those weights, but the "shrink tubing" sounds like a better deal....Just press splitshot on a short peice of line with a swivel attached to the end....Run the tubeing up the splitshot and over the first eye of the swivel, then apply heat and shrink....I'm gonna try it with 1/4 & 1/8th oz egg sinkers w/1 splitshot on the bottom to hold the egg sinkers on the line till I get the shrink tubeing on and shrunk. and see how it works.....Dwight

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The only problem with shrink tubing is it wears away quickly if you have a rough bottom.For stationary weights it is fine but if you drift much over rocks,stumps and clam beds the nylon seems to endure better.:big_smile:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 3/8 nylon rope from walmart. I think it is about 10 bucks for 50ft which makes about 100 weights.