Coraville fishing 6-17-06 or 6-18-06

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by davesoutfishing, Jun 13, 2006.

1. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    anyone going out late late night saturday the 17th I get off work around 8 or 9 pm saturday night would take me 2 hours to get up their fish into sunday or maybe go out sunday into monday shoot me a pm if ya wanna go I can bring my boat if I need to

2. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey dave sent you a pm.

clayton

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I might be out there sometime or another this weekend, but I can't say for sure when. Last Sunday, I caught and released 15 all caught drifting. A friend of mine drifting in another boat caught and released 20. I caught a couple of males that looked like they were working pretty hard at the spawn. Most of the females I've caught look like they've already dropped their eggs.

Mike.

4. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    got your pm sam I sent ya one back thats cool burwell thats what I wanna learn how todo is drift fish been trying to do it with very little luck I will be up that way around 10 or 11 pm saturday night I have to work till 8 or 9 pm saturday night...

5. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    already packed an just waitin to get off work tomorrow lol who all will be on the lake?

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good luck Dave, come back and tell us the scoop. Drive safe Andy

7. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    thanks Andy I will be bringing the camra along will post pics when I return home

8. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    he everyone well I went up to coraville res.saturday night met up with clayton todo some drift fishing man the shad was ficking the water all over I learned to things that night for a good teacher I learned how to drift fish which was reaaly cool was an real nice night with the threat of rain we had a pretty good show of lightening but nothing real close fish didnt seem to be biting on the res. we only caught one so we packed up and headed down to the cedar river an met up with three of claytons buddies then it started raining so we put on the rain gear an headed out on the river oh the other thing I learned was how circle hooks are used (for anyone that has never used them I suggest go out with someone that uses them) I will be useing then now along with j hooks still anyways on the river claytone caught a decent flatty prolly around 6 lbs I caught a small flatt when I reeled him in (I was fishing with 2 poles) and the lil fart had both my hooks in him I had him on both my poles lol well any ways I will post pics of the fun time we had it was great thanks clayton for the good time and answering all the stupid questions I had I really had a good time latersssss

9. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dave,

Glad you had fun even if the fish weren't biting that well. I went for a bit yesterday from about 11A to 3 PM. Fishing was pretty stinky. The wind quit about as soon as we hit the water, so it was tough to get a good drift...had to break out the trolling motor. The places I would really like to drift were packed with pleasure craft. Coralville is a really narrow reservoir that makes it really hard to relax and fish when the big boats are pounding by with 4 foot rollers for wakes. I swear, only about 1 in five of those folks know how to trim a boat up. Most of them stand their boats up on their tail and go about 1/2 throttle. It's enough to drive me nervous.

I think the spawn is about over...fish calendars indicate that this coming weekend should rock. I'm really excited because this will be my first summer to drift fish when I actually know a little bit about what I'm doing. If the spawn truly ends with this coming new moon, their oughtta be a feeding frenzy about to happen.

Mike.

10. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    thanks Bur I think I wore Mr Clayton out he looked pretty tired lol I will be fishing down here at the the Miss. dam this coming weekend if anyone wants to come down prolly get out on the water after work saturday night I am off sunday an monday of next week so free to fish any of those days also

11. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    pics of drifting an river fish

Attached Files:

12. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    more pics of fish caught

Attached Files:

13. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey dave thanks for coming up saturday had a good time even if the bite was slow, hope you have better luck next saturday. i hope the coraville res pick up soon i would like to get out drift fish some more, maybe in the next couple of weeks i can get down there and you could show me how its done on the missip. oh by the way i went out this morning on the cedar river again and the bite was still slow but did catch four flatheads and two channels.

clayton

14. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think this weekend should be about the end of the spawn. They'll have to start a post-spawn pigout soon, eh?

15. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I dont know about the spawn being over the wife and I went out tuesday and caught a few all but one had eggs still